Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have a document that was said to be written (in pencil) in…

Customer Question
I have a document that...
I have a document that was said to be written (in pencil) in 1910. It is written in an old composition book (both sides of the paper) and I need to determine the age of the paper to verify the age of the document. Can you help me. What do I need to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
I want to be referred to experts who can do the analysis of the paper and give info on its age.
Answered in 1 day by:
6/1/2015
Appraiser: Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
(###) ###-####is my number. And, I will send you images. Thanks
Please send images at your convenience.
Experts here are not permitted to exchange personal contact information on the question thread, thus your number has been censored on my end. It is really quite necessary for me to see images in order to properly assess what you have.
~Nora
I am trying to send the files I promised but having difficulty.
You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.
Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.
~Nora
I received two images.
Could you please send more photos, size of the notebook and clarify what information exactly it is that you need to know about this?
Thank you,
Nora
The small book labelled "Compositions" is 8x7 and 3/4. The pages are held together by center stitching. See this photo under separate cover..
Thank you for the information.
What is written in the book, are they poems, diary account or ledger?
What information is it that you are seeking about this notebook?
~Nora
A screenplay is written in this book. I just want to know how old it might be so that I can possibly determine the age of the document I am looking at.
Does your screenplay include talking lines, like a script?
~Nora
Yes
So you were told what is written in this old Composition Notebook is a talking script screenplay for a cinematic film from 1910?
~Nora
I know that it is. Yes.
The Composition notebook itself dates to around 1910.
However, the writing executed in the book would not necessarily date to the same time as the notebook. As an example, I use old 19th century ledger books for handwritten notes myself and 1920's premium give-away pocket notebooks for my own use currently.
A 1910 talking screenplay would essentially be foresight into the future.....to put that into perspective, the first long play cinematic film came out in 1915, Birth of a Nation, and it was a silent film. In 1910, the conecpt of a talking, moving film was as futuristic as flying cars today - not impossible, but not yet done.
It is more likely that the screenplay was written at a later time in the 20th century. Judging by style of cursive and use of pencil, likely 1930's - 1950's time frame that post-dates the age of the Composition notebook itself.
Again, when the notebook was made and when the writing was entered in it would not necessarily be the same time. Without reading the entries myself, I am going with the information that you provided.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
I wanted to know the age, possibly of the Composition Book itself. Also, the screenplay was written in 1910, the author provided this information. The play was written to refute The Clansman which was the title of Birth of a Nation before it was made into a film. Then the writing in the book was edited for at least two decades as she responded to a number of activities that Thomas Dixon engaged in as well as some of his novels, for example, The Sins of the Father and others. So, if it looks as if the cursive is from a later period, some of it is probably so. I should add that she also typed this screenplay and that is available fully typed and perhaps the type might provide some insight as well. What do you think.
From your description, this should be an important historical archive piece in cinematic history.
In terms of value, really only the bidding market can establish such for a one-of-a-kind item of this nature.
Have you tried bringing this to the attention of the auction house, Profiles in History - as they handle most Hollywood memorabilia items?
~Nora
Nora
Nora