Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have an Oil painting that I can't identify the artist on I

Customer Question

I have an Oil painting that I can't identify the artist on I am unable to read the signature it's visible but I can't read it
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for sending images.
Your vintage original tall ship on rough seas painting that dates to the 3rd quarter of the 20th century, 1950’s - 1970’s.
It is by what is known as an unlisted artist, meaning one that does not sell at auction for fine art collector and investor purposes, but a painting that is more intended for decorative framed original wall art for the home, hotel or lobby setting. Oftentimes, the artist’s name that is on the painting is fictitious and/or illegible and they were painted in factory settings in Mexico and China. They were sold in decorator shops, furniture show room stores and department store furniture sections.
Your vintage framed oil painting would sell for $150 - $350 on today’s market. They do get offered for higher on online auction sites, but the realistic sales prices are lower than asking price. The suggested insurance, or replacement value is $425.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora