Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.
63759197

I have a dozen or so pieces of Vintage Belleek china that are

Customer Question

I have a dozen or so pieces of Vintage Belleek china that are about 50 years old. They include a couple of Tea pots, sugar bowl, creamer, as well as some interesting sea shell themed pieces. Where can I go locally to find out their worth?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
My name is Nora.
Where are you located?
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brentwood, CA in Northern California

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave,
Thank you for that info.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave,
I can refer you to some local appraisers, the general charge for their services is $100 - $300 per hour.
Or, I can refer you to reference books that you can find at your local library or bookstore where you can look up the information on your own and determine the value based on the mark, pattern and use of object.
As well, I can assess the value of pieces for you here online - however I only assess one item per question here.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please refer me to some local appraisers.

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave,
I have done a search through Appraisers Association of America for appraisers who specialize in ceramics and porcelain near Brentwood, CA and I am not coming up with someone I can recommend.
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows an appraiser in your area to recommend they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Belleek china.

Thanks for the great photo. What a beautiful collection!

I can give you an appraisal valuation right here if you'd like, but separated into three questions, if that's okay with you, as this is going to take a little research.

I've added numbers to your photo to show how I'll group them.

I'll also need to see the backstamps. Can you please turn them all over and take another overview of all the pieces. If it's as sharp as your excellent first photo, I'll have no trouble zooming in to see which mark they each have.

Many thanks and wait to hear,

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Robert,

I have attached 3 pictures of the backstamps, one from each of the 3 groups. I hope that is what you were asking for!Belleek Stamp 1Belleek Stamp 2Belleek Stamp 3

Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the great photos of the backstamps.

Actually all I need to begin with is a photo of the undersides of each piece marked (1) -that way I can tell which mark goes with which piece.

Ignore the (2)'s and the (3)'s, for the time being, we'll do them later.

To make it quicker and easier for you, set up a group shot of all of the (1)'s together upside-down. I'll be able to identify the marks even though they may look small to you in the photo. I'll zoom in and enlarge them. Your photos are sharp enough for me to be able to do that.

Hope this makes sense.

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here you go...

Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much, that's just what I needed to see.

There's actually a fifth piece, the teapot, listed as part of (1) which you omitted. No problem, I'll assume it has the same mark as the others, and appraise accordingly (no photo needed unless it has a different mark).

Each of these pieces is marked with what's called the Belleek "3rd Green Mark" which means they date to the period 1965 - 1981 and as such are classified as "vintage Belleek" (as distinct from 'antique Belleek' and 'contemporary Belleek') for the purposes of valuation.

The following are the values you'd expect to get if you were to sell at a good antique auction house, or on an online auction site such as eBay, etc

(a) Coffee pot, "Limpet" embossed form (note the limpet shell on the elbow of the spout), lustre glazed with coral handle & finial in "cobb lustre" glaze. 3rd green mark (1965 - 1981).

Auction value: $60 - $125.

Retail/replacement/insurance value: $250.

(b) Milk pitcher, "Limpet" embossed form. Carinated shape, coral handle, lustre glaze. 3rd Green mark (1965 - 1981).

Auction value: $30 - $60.

Retail/replacement/insurance value: $120.

(c) Creamer & Sugar, "Neptune" embossed form, each with a pair of periwinkle shell feet. 3rd Green mark (1965 - 1981).

Auction value: $25 - $50 (for the pair)

Retail/replacement/insurance value: $100.

(d) Teapot, "Tridacna" (clam shell) embossed form . Coral handle with bifurcated top terminal and coral finial on cover. 3rd Green mark (1965 - 1981).

Auction value: $80 - $150.

Retail/replacement/insurance value: $300.

Hope this helps!

If you are happy with this so far, please go ahead and close this out by rating my answer (with the smiley faces or the 'accept' button) and initiate another question with: "For Robert S. appraisal of Belleek part (2)" in the subject line (or words to that effect) and attach a photo of all the bottoms of those marked (2) and we'll go from there.

Many thanks,
Robert