Wayne, Appraiser
Experience:  Appraiser
67223111

I have a statue of the Nittany Lion mounted on wood. I have

Customer Question

I have a statue of the Nittany Lion mounted on wood. I have seen many for sale in the Penn State book stores but they seem different in two ways. Mine is very heavy and it has the sculptor name etched on the back side. H, Warneke under the lions tale.
At the tails end is a circle with a C. The current ones are lighter though the same size and do not have his name, I don't know what type of stone it is carved from. I do not know how to send a photo,
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal. When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range. When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment. If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here. Sincerely,Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have children here this weekend and I'm sure they know how to send pictures. Thanks
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi , Pleasure to read back from you here. That is fine - send over images at your convenience. If I do not respond immediately, it is because I am not at my computer. Please rest assured that I will attend to your postings as soon as I am signed back in again. Sincerely, Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nora, We were very busy with family and no one will be up here until July. Could you please find some info on my question about the Nittany Lion statue? Believe me half the country knows about the Nittany Lion. Some antique fellow on The Big Ten Network has a program almost every day about collectables.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
I am very familiar with Penn State and the Nittany Lion. However in order for me to help assess what you have and weigh in on the described differences you stated, I would really need to actually see what you have.
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
This is by Heinz Warneke. These were the earlier replicas of the famous Limestone sculpture that he did for Penn State in 1942. The earlier ones had the name under the tail with the copyright symbol after the tail. I have seen these in an off white,brown and tan. They sell for $50-75 at auction. Here is a link to a one that sold on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Heinz-Warneke-Alva-Museum-Replicas-Nittany-Lion-Penn-State-PA-/371316012985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item567428b7b9&nma=true&si=92%252FFqhLXb5lOcwwS6HECS61%252BPwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Thank you,