Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

Hello, Í am trying to find an Etling opalescent octagonal

Hello, Í am trying to...

Í am trying to find an Etling opalescent octagonal bowl with 4 relief fish on it that broke not long ago. Outside of EBay I'm wondering if there are any other large sources where I might be able to find another one. It just broke my heart that it broke and I'd do anything to find another. I've only seen one picture of the piece which is at http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20202/lot/3/

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

Barbara Booth
4/18/2013
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Hello Josie,

Sorry it took me so long, guess I thought I would be notified by email that I had a reply,.

Yes, by all means I don't mind waiting. I realize this might take a while, but your contacts are certainly more extensive than mind and since I've not been successful so far I can certainly wait.

Thank you again for your help. Not too sure how this works, but doesn't seem like I get email updates so I'll just try back here from time to time.

Regards,

Barbara

[email protected]
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Angela--Mod
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Thank you Angela I thought this would take a long time, so I'll just keep hanging on. Is there a way to be notified by email if there's a reply? Sometimes I just forget to check your site as often as I should.

Barbbjb

Thank you for your reply. Yes, you will receive an email notification each time you have a new reply. We appreciate your continued patience as we search for the right professional to assist you.

Best,

Angela
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Appraiser

Hello. My name isXXXXX are similar glass bowls that become available from time to time. It's pssible that your bowl will become avialable if it isn't currently. I've done some research and I'm still looking for you.

In the meantime, one of the best places to keep your eye on for this type of item is:
Ruby Lane

They have a considerable stock of similar items and are receiving new items regularly. As I said, I am still looking, but I wanted you to have what I have so far, since you will know best if you see a match.

BTW, I believe the designer of your bowl is from "Choisy-le-Roi". This may help you locate other similar bowls, although many of them are unique or nearly unique.

I just sent you a reply but afraid it got lost in cyber space. The jist of it was to #1 thank you for your effort, #2 to let you know I'm familiar with Ruby Lane, and lastly that one of the bowls I'm looking for sold at Bonham's auction in 2012 in London so hopefully there are other out there.

Barbbjb

Yes, they are out there, just not in large number. I'm glad you are familiar with Ruby Lane. I would check there frequently. I will also keep my eyes open for one. I actually have an image search set to trigger if one shows up somewhere.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Appraiser

Thanks Mike--- If you want to see the one and only I've found on the Internet it's here on the home page.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20202/lot/3/

Thank you... that is the one I've been using as a reference. And fortunately, they have an absolutely huge and detailed picture of it on their site that I was able to download for the image search.

Barbara, I must say that before I took your question some time back, I had never considered collecting glass bowls - but after seeing literally thousands of them since, I've taken quite a liking to them. I had no idea they could be so beautiful - I've seen some that are quite remarkable (some fish, some octagonal, but no others that are both!). The funny thing is that you could put one of these in the foyer of a modern house and it would look totally modern! I think that's what I find most amazing. I wasn't around in the 30's (and many of us weren't), but I could see a huge demand for these in the present day if there are people around that still know how to make them.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Appraiser