I have a maytag bravos xl top loading washer that is

I have a maytag...

I have a maytag bravos xl top loading washer that is approximately 6 years old. Recently, it has started not to drain in the middle of the cycle. We have taken the drum out and made sure that nothing is blocking the drain. After we put it back together, it ran fine for one wash and then right back to not draining. If you start... Read full answer

I have a maytag bravos xl top loading washer that is approximately 6 years old. Recently, it has started not to drain in the middle of the cycle. We have taken the drum out and made sure that nothing is blocking the drain. After we put it back together, it ran fine for one wash and then right back to not draining. If you start the cycle over, sometimes is will begin to drain. Sometimes we can power it off and let is sit for a while and it will begin to drain on its on.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is about 6 years old. Bravos xl top loading Model # mvwb850yw0

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

3/2/2019
Mark M
Mark M, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Mark. I’ll be assisting you today.

Ignore the phone call request pop-ups… those are automatically sent by the site, not me. I am unable to take calls as it shuts off my internet. You will see them pop up.... again, ignore them...

Allow me a few moments to read what you wrote and look up the model number

Does the washer work fine other than the intermittent draining issue?

It washes fine until it gets to the drain cycle and then it just sits. you can hear a hum like the it might drain but it never does unless you cut it off and then back on.

Ok... it sounds like your drain pump motor is malfunctioning... you say you can hear it humming correct?

That is the drain pump motor trying to pump out water

Here is the drain pump motor assembly.... https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/W10409079/0026/110.html?modelNumber=MVWB850YW0&categoryName=Residential%20Washers&brandName=MAYTAG

It's not too difficult to replace it. You can tip back the washer to about a 45 degree angle and then access the pump at the bottom....

Did that link work?

it did and we are going to order the part and switch it out.

Sounds good.... happy to help out....

If I was helpful would you mind giving me a good rating? I’m an independent contractor, and giving a positive rating compensates me for my time with you.

Doesn’t affect what you pay at all, just whether or not the site pays me for my time. You can give your rating by selecting one of the five stars located on the top right of the question page. Have a great day…

Mark M
Mark M, Home Appliance Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have amaytag bravo xl top load washer I bought in 2012. My
I have amaytag bravo xl top load washer I bought in 2012. My machine has water in the drum . It is humming it will occasionally make a start to drain sound and then nothing more humming no burning sme… read more
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave
Leaking water from on top over basket Bravos XL power wash
Leaking water from on top over basket Bravos XL power wash system. … read more
Mark M
Mark M
Home Appliance Technician,
Bachelors
I have a Maytag Bravo washer. Whenever I push the power.
I have a Maytag Bravo washer. Whenever I push the power … read more
Austin
Austin
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Bravos XL washing machine aprrox 2 weeks ago I was
I have a Bravos XL washing machine aprrox 2 weeks ago I was washing sheets and the drum became unbalance during the spin cycle. I shut the machine off redistributed the sheets and restarted the machin… read more
Austin
Austin
I have a Maytag Bravos XL washer. It recently stopped in the
I have a Maytag Bravos XL washer. It recently stopped in the middle of a cycle. Won't drain, and after a short while, the code DRN popped up on digital display. I have remved the drain pump. Took it t… read more
Mike R.
Mike R.
LD keeps flashing on the machine. We replaced the pump it
LD keeps flashing on the machine. We replaced the pump it worked for the first load fine. After that lad appeared again. We have replaced the lid lock and the valve since. It is still either giving us… read more
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy
Maitenance Supervisor,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a maytag bravos xl top loading washing machine that
i have a maytag bravos xl top loading washing machine that is giving an f5 code(lid lock). the lid lock switch is broken. i would like to bypass the lid lock switch, but i do not know what wires (6 wi… read more
Appliance Technician,
Have a Maytag bravos xl dryer that will not start. All
Have a Maytag bravos xl dryer that will not start. All lights work … read more
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave
We are doing diagnostics on our Maytag Washer BRAVO XL Model
We are doing diagnostics on our Maytag Washer BRAVO XL Model MCH 932 DWO. It will not do the diagnostics when we follow the directions. … read more
Appliance Repair Technician,
My washer is leaking from what looks to be the front. It
my washer is leaking from what looks to be the front. It looks like is running down the outside of the tub assembly … read more
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave
My Maytag Bravo xl leaks from the bottom at times. Mostly
My Maytag Bravo xl leaks from the bottom at times. Mostly when cleaning it but a couple of times on a regular load. What should I do? … read more
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave
I have a maytag bravos XL washer that is leaking water. It
I have a maytag bravos XL washer that is leaking water. It does not look to be coming from a hose. I set it up on blocks so I can see under it and looks to be coming from the basket underneath when th… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Maytag bravo xl when the machine begins to wet the
Hi I have a Maytag bravo xl when the machine begins to wet the cloths water runs down the front inside of washer on to floor once it does that it won't leak the rest of the cycle… read more
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave
I have a Maytag Bravos top loading washer. The drain pump keeps
I have a Maytag Bravos top loading washer. The drain pump keeps running even after a load of clothes has finished washing. Sometimes it will turn off by itself, other times I have to unplug the machin… read more
AppTech8579
AppTech8579
I have a maytag bravos and have had issues with it. I recently
I have a maytag bravos and have had issues with it. I recently had to replace the pump, then got an ld code again. I ended up figuring out I had blockage in the drain line that I have now fixed. I ran… read more
Home Appliance Technician,
I have had maytog bravo top load for the last two years. As
I have had maytog bravo top load for the last two years. As of recently it stops in the middle od the cycle indicating oL signals. I deacrese the load and still stops in the middle of the cycle with t… read more
Mr Repair
Mr Repair
My Maytag Bravos top-loading washer gives the F1 signal and
My Maytag Bravos top-loading washer gives the F1 signal and the machine stops. I have to hit the pause/cancel and the start button to get going again--sometimes have to do this 5 or 6 times before it … read more
Owner,
i have a Maytag Bravos wash machine and it keep stopping in
i have a Maytag Bravos wash machine and it keep stopping in the middle of a cycle. The code says LF and lights are blinking. I took out any heavy clothing, and made it a very light load. But it still … read more
Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal
Owner,