Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My fridgedair refrigerator ffss2614qs6a lost power for an…

My fridgedair refrigerator ffss2614qs6a...

My fridgedair refrigerator ffss2614qs6a lost power for an extended period of time. Now it has power and won't start. Lights are on, ice maker moves. The temp settings in front on fridge side are not on.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

It was off for weeks, then turned back on. I tried flipping it again, but not off for hours.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's an easy fix.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Normally the digital shows temp settings. Not on at all. But everything else works.

7/12/2018
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Unplug the refrigerator for 10 minutes and plug it back in if it fails to reset the control board then the power surge damaged the control board and it will have to be replaced. The replacement is listed below:

Refrigerator Electronic Control Board

Part #:(###) ###-####- Click here for part info at Sears

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Joel Swenson
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Ty

The unit was manufactured in Dec 1992. You are welcome, thank you for the rating and for using JA!

Sorry for the last response, that was for a different customer. Thank you for the rating.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
The electronic board was replaced. Now after hours of cooling, it displays the error code of HI.
There were many fruit flies embedded in the control panel.

If the unit is above the temperatures mentioned in the paragraph above, the affected compartment temperature display (fresh food, freezer or both) on the control panel will display 'HI' and an alarm will sound. To disable the alarm press any key on the control panel. After which the control panel will then show the display temperature. The unit will continue to monitor the product temperatures for 'high temp' condition every 20 minutes. If the 'high temp' condition persists, the alarm will sound again and can be reset again. AFter you reset it just let it run and see if the temperature goes back down, if not then something else is wrong and the system is not cooling as it should be. Check that both fans are running, the fan in the freezer and the fan in the back next to the compressor. Make sure the condenser is clean and nothing is blocking the fan from turning. If all that checks out let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
Both fans are running. Doesn't seem like the compressor is kicking on. There is air flow in the freezer. Not so much in the fridge.

Ok sounds like the start relay on the compressor is bad:

Refrigerator Compressor Start Relay

Part #:###-##-####- Click here for part info at Sears

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
Average install time is 3 hours 6 minutes. 5 wrench difficulty. 7 daydelivery time. Sounds like something I can't do myself. I think I'm going to get a new fridge. Thanks for your help.P.s. can I check the connection to it? Fruit flies invaded the unit whole we were out of the country. That's what messed with the control panel.

Ya just pull it off the compressor and look at it if it looks like its corroded replace it, but if the fans on the unit are running and the compressor is not then either the start relay is bad or the compressor is.