Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My GE profile side-by-side refrigerator is running at 56…

My GE profile side-by-side...

My GE profile side-by-side refrigerator is running at 56 degrees, regardless of how low I set the temperature, for at the last several months, maybe longer. I put a simple thermometer inside to verify the temp. The frig is over 10 years old, and the freezer seems to be working well. Model PFSS6PKW/PFSF6PKW (on label inside frig door). What could be the cause? Is it worth calling a repair person, or is the frig likely near it’s death?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The frig is over 10 years old, purchased in 2008. Model PFSS6PKW/PFSF6PKW (on label inside frig door).

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly, if it is a simple fix

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is all the relevant info that I can think of.

6/26/2018
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

I may also be assisting you along with other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

NOTE : The website will send you a prompt for a phone call And POP UPS those are NOT from me , so if you do not want me to call you please IGNORE IT !!

so if you look on the rear interior freezer panel do you see any frost or ice on the rear wall panel ?

And with the freezer door closed do you hear the Freezer Fan running ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a small amount of thin frost the top of the back wall of the freezer, in the center only. The complete ceiling of the feezer is ice. FYI, it is draw style freezer, at floor level. The frigerator doors are above. I hear the frig hum low when all doors are closed, but I believe that has been the normal sound for many years.

Ok if you open the upper fresh food section door look on the rear interior panel do you see any frost or ice on that rear wall panel ?

And can you hear the fresh food section fan running or not ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A few two inch ling ovals of ice, looks like theybare covering little openings in the back wall.

Ok and that is why the upper fresh food section is not cooling .

You will need to turn the unit off an defrost the ice on the rear panel ,with the door open for say at least 6-8 hours .

This is normally an issue when a door was not fully closed and warm moist air was able to enter into the unit .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Woody!

Always glad to assist you anytime.

Thank you in advance.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,

I will still assist you, no extra charges .

But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

You should see a rating box ,just click on the rating box and it will open the rating window for you to than rate me .

Thank you in advance.

Master Tech