Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a bottom freezer GE Profile fridge 10 years old.

Customer Question
I have a bottom...

I have a bottom freezer GE Profile fridge 10 years old. Temps are stuck at 51 & 11 degrees, in spite of my attempts to reset them, including turning fridge off for 30 secs.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 10-12 yrs old, M#PDS22MCRBWW

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible. I am way out in the sticks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2018
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 month ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The display will always go back to the actual temperature after you set them, so we need to determine why it is warming up.

1. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?
  2. Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fans are running in both compartments. There is a small patch of frosty ice on the back wall of freezer compartment, above the pull out basket.

Ah, that is a problem. If you see frost on that panel at all, it has to build up back behind it to get there. Was the freezer door left open at all that you know of?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I don't believe so

So the issue is that the defrost cycle is not working as it should be. Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a basic multimeter

Does it have a setting to test resistance?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has an ohm setting, from 2000k down to 200

Perfect! We will need to access the back of the cabinet. Remove the small panel over the control board and we can test. Let me know once ready.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I have to pull fridge out from cabinet. Might take 5-10 mins

Sure, post back whenever you are ready, no hurry at all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I have the fridge out and the back bottom panel off. The little fan that blows over the condensor coils isn't running, but it turns. Shouldn't it be running, and is that why the frost buildup inside?

Is the compressor running? We need to access the board above that area, so take the smaller cover off.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got little cover off circuit board. I hear something running in both fridge and freezer compartments.

Okay, so no fan by compressor running, though? Is the compressor running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has it's normal running sound, kind of a low whooshing sound, but that's all

So fan not running by compressor with it plugged in?

Unplug the refrigerator. Locate the J1 plug, it is 9 pins long but only has 5 wires. The first wire is on pin 1, so, unplug that connector and measure between pin 1 & 4. Do you read about 40k ohms of resistance or how much.

You are measuring at the now unplugged connector, not at the board.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The little evap fan by coils isn't running with fridge plugged in. I will unplug fridge and test.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the 200k setting on my meter, the read pout is 185

So 185k ohms, meaning the sensor is telling the control that the evaporator is -40* F. Are you sure it is not 18.5?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is 18.5

Okay, so the sensor is okay. The main control has failed.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

The fan not running would also support board failure.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No doubt about that? Any other test to be sure?

Sure, let's test the output for the condenser fan motor. Plug the refrigerator back in. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Locate connector J2 on the board. Testing between pin 5 and pin 8, do you read about 13-14 VDC?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Plugging J1 back in and plugging fridge in too

Correct, and leave the J2 plug connected this time when testing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
test J2 before turning fridge back on?

No, plug refrig in and then test for that fan voltage after the compressor starts.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With fridge on and J1 & J2 connected, I get 15.4 between 5 & 8 on J2

And fan still not running?

And you are testing DC voltage setting, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct, little fan is off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VDC setting is on 20

That voltage is a little high, so it is suspect. It should not be over 14, but your meter may not be 100% accurate. Is it plugged in at the fan motor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you asking if fan motor is plugged in? It appears to be. Compressor is quite warm to the touch.

Can you post a picture of the frost on the back freezer panel? Place a fan to blow down there and see if the temperatures improve at all.

Definitely a defrost issue. If the readings you provided for the evaporator thermistor were accurate, the sensor is good. This model uses a Calrod heater and they very, very rarely fail. I am confident the board will correct the defrost issue but the fan is getting power from the board, so the motor is faulty, too.

No, not if you are reading 15 VDC at the board output. If you have the voltage to the fan from the board yet the fan is not running, the fan is bad.

No, that fan not working would not cause the frost to build on that panel. That is a separate issue. If you unplug and open doors for 24 hours that will thaw all the frost behind the panel but be sure to place a fan to blow in the back when plugged back in to avoid compressor damage.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've melted much of the frost inside with a hair dryer on the cool setting. I have a lot of food and frozen food in fridge so I cant shut it off for 24 hrs. If I put a new board & fan in it, can I just start it up with what little ice there is? There isn't any in the compressor area behind the access panel in back. Or should I melt the rest of the ice in the freezer compartment too?

The frost is built up behind that panel. If it is not all thawed, air flow will not get up to the fresh food section.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.