Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a ge profile fridge pfss2mixa ss ice cube melt and…

I have a ge...

I have a ge profile fridge pfss2mixa ss ice cube melt and refreeze some frost in freezer temp indicator reads 0 to -3 degrees door seal seems to be in good condition no leaks

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 10 to 15 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No just looking for possible cause and best way to correct problem

6/21/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

1. Is the frost around the door opening or on the rear panel?
  2. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?
frost is light and through out the freezer on all food fan is running also noticed the freezer temp went up to 7 degrees and then started to drop back down this happened about five in the afternoon and by 7 pm it was back to zero degrees

If you peel the door gasket back a bit, does the light seem to be staying on with freezer open?

i can see the light cycling on and off as I open and close the door

Hmm, so if the seal is good it has to be a control issue that is allowing it to warm too much before restarting. Do you ever hear the compressor trying to start, humming/buzzing followed by a heavy click?

have not heard any unusual sounds could it be possible that the defrost cycle is happening at the time we are opening and closing the fridge trying to prepare dinner

Yes, the defrost cycle can be initiated at anytime by the control but it should never warm up enough to warm to allow frost to cover everything or ice to melt. I suspect the main control will need to be replaced. How often is it warming?

at least once a dau

Okay, so it is probably going into defrost but staying too long. I would start by replacing the defrost sensor that is mounted on the freezer evaporator (number 228 at the link below).

CLICK HERE

The sensor is accessed by removing the rear panel from inside the freezer. Of course, all shelving and other components must be removed to get the back off. The sensor is mounted on the top of the evaporator, There are two wires that will need to be spliced together, the new sensor comes with everything you need.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Ok I will start with the defrost thermostat and if that does not fix the issue would the control board be next?

Yes, replace the thermistor first then the board if no change but those thermistors can test good but be bad as they change, so testing it is not an accurate way to diagnose, so that is why I recommended replacing it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to be clear on the diagram number 228 is the evaporator and 266 is the thermostat 266 is what needs to be replaced
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
or would the part numbered 268 which is called temperature sensor be the thermistor

It is the same sensor used in the number 269 spot but is mounted on top of the evaporator. It is not shown in that breakdown.

Kelly, Appliance Technician