Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Recently the microwave appears to come on when the door is…

Recently the microwave appears...

Recently the microwave appears to come on when the door is opened. Could this just be the exhaust fan or do I need to worry about microwave exposure?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is about 5-7 years old. GE Profile Spacemaker. JVM3660CF001 HD925732S

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not necessarily.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is it maybe something that my husband could repair? Should we stop using it until it is repaired?

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So unfortunately this means that one of your door switches has failed. There are 3 door switches and usually the bottom one is the one that fails, but you'd need to remove the outer shell of the microwave and test the switches to know for certain which switch is bad. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to test the actual door switches inside your microwave to know which one to replace. Now access on your microwave may be slightly different, but the process of testing the door switches exactly the same.

CLICK HERE for video

If the microwave still works, then you can continue using it for now until the faulty switch is replaced but the switch will eventually fail completely.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc