Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My 15-20 year old GE Profile dishwasher makes a vroom,

My 15-20 year old...

My 15-20 year old GE Profile dishwasher makes a vroom, vroom, vroom noise when running and doesn't get the dishes fully clean. My neighbor figured out how to open the door while it is running and it is spraying water.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Made between 1995 and 2005 I'm told.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

GSD4020Z00BB AT832269B The 1st # is the model #

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well, if it's the motor pump assembly, I'll just get a new one. If it's something simple maybe my neighbor or I can do it. He replaced I think it was the piston a year ago because it wasn't draining, but that isn't the problem now. Now it is not washing well and it makes a noise like the motor or pump is struggling either because it's bad or because of another problem that may be cheaper or easier to fix.

6/17/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

There are two things that will cause that. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

If the motor is surging during washing, either the water level is too low or the water recirculation pressure is too low due to blockage. An easy way to diagnose is to manually add a gallon or two of water during the wash cycle and see if the noise goes away. If it does, replace the water inlet valve. If adding water does no good, the pump pump is likely blocked. See number 428 in the diagram at the link below. That is the chopper assembly that usually gets plugged.

CLICK HERE

The video at the link below shows how that area is accessed.

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Thank you. I'll look at all this.

You are are very welcome, thank you!

I can't see the video. Adding water only decreased the vroom vroom for a few seconds, but it made the water spray. The water is spraying (I opened the door and got very wet) and a mug turned upright on the top shelf is full, but the noise tells me it's not cleaning well. The sprayer is not turning fast. I don't know how fast it is supposed to turn. It was not turning until I added the water. I had already taken the cover off the oval sump and taken out the chopper thing. I don't think there is anything stuck there.

Okay, so it is a water inlet issue. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

The valve is accessed by removing the access panel from below the door. It is mounted in the left front corner. The water will not spray real fast as the arm rotates but if you added water and the spray increased, more water should solve the surging issue.

Does the water come in in 2 places or 1? There is plenty of water coming in on the left side, but I think then it drains out. Or if it doesn't drain out, the fan still does not spin until I add water. I watched the video at the part link you sent and it refers to a float at the end. Does my dishwasher have a float and how do I test it. I can't get the think that I think is a float to move.
I got a multimeter at a garage sale a few weeks ago. I have never used one before until doing what the video said to do. The multimeter reads 1, not between 500-1,500 as the video says it should when testing the water inlet valve. I turned the breaker back on and it still read 1. But I have never used this multimeter before, so I don't know what happens when it does get a reading for something.

The float is only there to prevent overfilling. If the water seems to be filling fine initially but then pumping out, then the solenoid on the left side of the motor assembly is likely sticking or the flapper in pump is stuck open. In either case, the motor/pump will need to be replaced.

Ok, thank you. There is a copper pipe that brings the water from under the kitchen faucet to the water inlet valve. This copper pipe is somewhat bent under the sink. Is this ok? Should it be replaced?

Well, if it is filling okay it is not an issue.

Is it possibly not filling enough? Is there a sensor to make sure it fills enough?

There is no sensor, it is controlled by a flow washer and a timed fill at the control. I think it is a flow issue as originally stated but you said it was filling fine but then draining out, indicating a partially open drain flapper valve in the sump.

34;Originally stated" when it was the water inlet valve or when it was the motor pump assy? Thank you so much for all your help!

"There is plenty of water coming in on the left side, but I think then it drains out."

If you add water and it changes anything, the issue is water inlet valve related. I would replace the water valve.

CLICK HERE

Kelly, Appliance Technician