Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My GE Profile Microwave is 6yrs old and has been arcing.

My GE Profile Microwave...

My GE Profile Microwave is 6yrs old and has been arcing. This is the first time that this has occurred. I followed the instructions and pressed the clear/off pad but the problem has not been corrected. I don't have anything metal other than the shelf in the microwave oven so I don't understand what is happening. Please advise! thanks, Carole

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is 7 yrs old...It was installed new in 2011. It is a GE Profile, Model # PNM1871SM1SS, Serial # VR900638B.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I NEED TO KNOW IF SOMEONE CAN CHECK IT FOR ME FIRST. How do I know if work needs to be done???

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am doing this to get EXPERT help from you. Are you able to assist or not? I don't have time to play games...Don't understand these questions...

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

OK

So first the shelf needs to be removed. It should only be inside the microwave when actually doing multi tier cooking (cooking on the turntable and on the shelf). This is actually stated in your manual. Either way, remove the shelf can put a cup of water in the microwave. Heat up the cup of water for about a minute and does the arcing stop? If not, look through the door window and can you see an area where it's sparking? If so, where?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Phone call session started
just doing what you suggested now...

OK, I tried to call but no one answered. Would you still like a phone call?

no thanks

OK sounds good, just let me know what you find when you can.

I did not do the arcing after I removed the shelf. Hopefully, it will continue to function. Does that mean that I can no longer use the shelf???

If it doesn't arc when the shelf is installed, then you'd need to replace the shelf because it has arced out. If you do replace the shelf, you should only put the shelf in when you are doing multi tier cooking. That means most of the time you won't be using the shelf, but you can use it when cooking 2 items. The reason is because the shelf is metal so if there isn't enough food inside the microwave to absorb the microwaves, they'll build up and eventually start finding things to react to which will be the microwave rack.

Got it! Thank you!

No problem and good luck!