Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The control board for my GE profile fridge has the following…

The control board for...

The control board for my GE profile fridge has the following two components located at U14 & U15 BURNT

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

PFS22SISDSS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

YES

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

PURCHASED A NEW CONTROL BOARD PLUGGED IT IN THE SAME TWO COMPONENTS START TO HEAT UP?

6/6/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

U14 and U15 are resistors that control the evaporator and condenser fan motors. Put the old board back in and see which fan isn't running. You need to replace that fan or it'll keep shorting out your board.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

ok i will try that and get back to you. both fans do operate with the new board?

Both fans will probably operate until those resistors burn out again.

ok thanks

no problem.

Installed the old board- neither fan came on.

Hmm, that's a tough one. Both could be bad I'd unplug one and see if the new board still heats up on those resistors. If so, unplug the other and re-plug in the one you originally unplugged. If it still overheats, then replace both fans.

Can I measure the resistance of each fan to find out if there bad

Possibly but those specs aren't listed anywhere for the fan.

I unplugged each fan and plugged in the other to no avail, it just took longer for the resistor to heat up

Then you need to replace both fans.

It just seems so strange that both fans would be bad

Maybe to you. That is why you're talking to a technician who does this for a living and they run on the same circuit so it's not strange. Now this is the second day we are talking and I have clearly answered your first question of what components U14 and U15 are related to and then some. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc