Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE Profile refrigerator. The water dispenser has…

I have a GE...

I have a GE Profile refrigerator. The water dispenser has stopped working and there is a loud noise when I try to get some water. When it makes the noise , the water dispenser stops working.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

10 years..PFS22MIS

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Myself

6/4/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

On this particular GE refrigerator, the most common issue is that the water line inside the door freezes. Remove the kick panel below the refrigerator and freezer doors and look for the water line disconnect just behind the front panel near the freezer door hinge. Disconnect the water line and shut the door. Press the water dispenser and see if water comes out of the water line at the bottom where you'd disconnected the water line. If water comes out, you'll need to just turn the refrigerator off and leave the door open for about 45 minutes and that will allow the door to heat up enough that when you connect the water line to the door again, it should start to dispense water again. Using a hair dryer to warm up the door is also very useful.

There is a kit designed to add a heater to the dispenser so this does not happen in the future if the problem comes back. Below is a link to the kit and it comes with instructions on how to install it.

CLICK HERE

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Our water dispenser is not on the door . It is inside the refrigerator. Also our ice maker is still working.

I understand the icemaker is still working, which is why I know something is frozen. I didn't see that the water line wasn't on the door however, so where it would freeze is the water reservoir behind the bottom drawer inside the refrigerator. Pull the bottom drawer out of the refrigerator and locate the water reservoir against the back wall. Use a hair dryer and thaw out the reservoir because it sounds like it's frozen. It may take about 30 minutes of heating. The reservoir is just a bunch of coiled up white plastic tubing that hold water to cool down before it goes to the dispenser.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hair dryer overheated before it could defrost the water reservoir. No improvement at all.
You may just need to unplug the unit for 24 hours and let it thaw out then unfortunately
OK. I will try to find a time when we can defrost the fridge. Thanks.
Thanks.