Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE model PFS22MIWCWW that occassionally quits

I have a GE...

I have a GE model PFS22MIWCWW that occassionally quits cooling, both refridgerator and freezer. today my wife went into it and the fridge was 65 degrees and freezer 17 degrees. she moved all the food out and now it's cooled back down again. Is there some way to diagnose an intermittent problem like this? seems to happen every 6-8 months.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is about 10 yrs old. the model number on the inside of it is PFS22MIWCWW, GE Profile French Door Bottom Freezer

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends how easy it is! I'm relatively handy but not interested in replacing coils or compressors etc.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is it worth fixing? guess that depends on what's wrong.

6/2/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category here on JustAnswer!
I'm so sorry that a JustAnswer Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question?
Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
I still need an answer. Thanks. Greg
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

When it stops cooling you have to pull the unit out so you can get behind it. Remove the back lower panel to access the compressor area and condenser fan. Check and see if the fan is running and also see if the compressor is vibrating or not, plus see if the compressor is hot ,cold or warm to the touch. please post back to me with what you have found. Also check if the inside fan in the freezer is running and blowing air.

To be clear, this happens very rarely. Every 6 months or so. Often enough for us to not fully trust the unit. Is there another diagnosis route besides waiting for the next occurence?Also, what are the top most likely reasons for my symptoms?Thanks Greg

The main board would be the most liklely issue, they had issues with it and they have redesigned it for that issue and other problems. It is located behind the unit behind the small rectangular access panel. Here is a link to the part it is plug and play and easy to change.

CLICK HERE PART

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Thanks for the help