Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My GE Profile microwave model JVM1790SK 01 has just stopped…

My GE Profile microwave...

My GE Profile microwave model JVM1790SK 01 has just stopped working. There was a loud buzzing noise just before it quit. Nothing on the unit works, it is totally dead. Can you help me find a solution?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The date of manufacture is September 2008.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The model number is ***** 01.

6/1/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you were getting a loud buzzing noise and now it's dead, this means that your magnetron which is what creates the microwaves to heat the food--had grounded out. The magnetron will need to be replaced, but it also shorted out the line fuse because it grounded out. The problem is that the magnetron requires you to uninstall the entire microwave in order to remove the outer shell so you can access the microwave. The magnetron is about $65 and below is a link to the part if you wanted to do this yourself. Otherwise, if you need to call a technician, it would be better to just replace the microwave due to cost.

CLICK HERE for fuse

CLICK HERE for magnetron

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thak you. I will try your recommendation and get back to you when I get the parts. It may be a week or more. Thanks for your assistance

ok good luck. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I tried your recommendation, replaced magnetron and fuse.
When I tested the unit it fired for about one second and blew the fuse. Any other suggestions?
FixAll
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician

hi I'm here to help. its not the magnetron its the high voltage transformer. but I would go ahead and do the capacitor and diode while you have it down because those parts are very cheap and may have been damaged as well. but that being said the transformer can be quite costly and maybe cheaper to replace the entire unit. be sure you mark the wires or take a picture as to where they go on the capacitor so you don't accidentally get them backwards.

FixAll
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician