Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I replaced the shifter assembly in my washer because the…

Customer Question
I replaced the shifter...

I replaced the shifter assembly in my washer because the bearing was noisy on the spin cycle and now the washer will only drain and fill but won't agitate or spin

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

GE Profile purchased in 2011 model #WPRE8150K1WT

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm mechanically inclined and also have electrical diagnosis experience

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
6/2/2018
Appliance Technician: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 2 months ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category here on JustAnswer!
I'm so sorry that a JustAnswer Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question?
Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
I’m still waiting to see if I can get some assistance. I can explain in more details if necessary if it will help
Appliance Technician: Ray, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 months ago
Ray, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I'm Ray and would be happy to help you.. Only two things it could be is did you hook up the harness plug back together for it?

no loose plugs or broken wires anywhere you can see?

No I checked all circuits for continuity and connections all are good, and fusible link is good as well

It has to be a defected shifter if everything checks out ok. I have had that happen several times myself

is the light on the motor blinking?

I replaced the shifter intially for a bad bearing noise. The new one ohmed out at 68 ohms, so I ordered another one it to ohms at 68 ohms. There is no blinking light on the motor that is new. The service mode on the control has no faults but when you put in on AL AH and spin it does nothing

are you there?

I’m here

on the motor is there a light blinking on it.. very small light on the right side.. you have to get down low to see it

I looked and dont see it blinking. It wasn’t blinking on the old motor either
The fusible link is good as well.

oh ok,, i see it know it doesn't have the inverter on it.. It has to be the shifter.

It is a motor/inverter assembly!!

630

on diagram

Washer drive motor and inverter board assembly

Parts #: WH20X10064

Substitution: WH20X10076

$ 182.58

In Stock searspartsdirect.com

yes it is an all in one... that must have shorted off some how but that's strange because it was working before

But the new one is the same way

you change the shifter not the motor?

I intially started off replacing the shifter assy because the bearing was extremely noisy on the spin cycle. The washer worked fine, just noisy. While I had it apart I also replaced the tub bearing, seals and belt. When I put it back together the machine would only drain and fill would not agitate or spin. I checked with GE website and it said if I had power to the motor/inverter assy and there was no blinking light to check the fusible link, and if it was ok to replace the mottor/inverter. I didn’t understand how it would go bad from replacing a different part. So I ordered the motor/inverter and installed it and it is still doing the same thing. No blinking LED and does not agitate or spin. I even tried to reset motor as suggested by unplugging the machine, wait a couple of minutes then plug it back in and raise and lower the lid 6 times withing 12 seconds. Still does not work. Frustrating
Initially after changing the shifter, I thought it was bad because the new one was only 68ohms not 98, so I called and they sent me another one and it too measures 68 ohms. They stated that the motor/inverter should flash and set a code for it if it was bad, but as I said, no LED light flashes. The motor they sent has a part number of GEHWH20X10076

are you getting 120 volts to the motor?

then the motor should be running... you got a defective motor

did you check it?

If it is defective then it is under warranty

yes it will be