Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Why does the temperature keep going up in my freezer and…

Why does the temperature...

Why does the temperature keep going up in my freezer and refridgerator on my GE Profile Model # GSS23WSTA SS?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 12 years old IDK what you want for exact model thats the model # inside of the fridge the serial # isML400218

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really other than for a few months if would make some funny noises but was still working and oh yeah there is frost on the back wall of the freezer if that helps any. But some food in freezer thawed out and some was still ice cold and the ice in the ice maker is still all frozen

6/1/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This sounds like a common issue and it means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE

Now I did want to point out that there are a few other possibilities like the defrost timer/control board or the defrost sensor, but these rarely fail on this model and there is no way to test the heater for certain to know if it's good or not. The reason is because that the heater is glass and can get water inside of it when it fails so it will show good continuity even when it's bad sometimes. That's why the best course of action is to replace the heater since it's by far the most common problem.

If you really wanted to test the the sensor, look for the white plastic bullet at the top of the silver evaporator coils with 2 small wires going to it. You'd need to cut the wires going to the sensor and then put the sensor in ice water for 5 minutes. The resistance should be right around 16.3 kΩ. If not then the sensor would need to be replaced. I don't advise doing this test because you must cut the wires just to test it so I'd reserve this option in case the problem persists after you replace the heater.

And below is a link to the sensor just on the off chance you need it.

CLICK HERE for sensor

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

R u still there

yes, did you not get my answer?

no I didn't get any answer

Hmm, I'm not sure why because I see that it was send 25 minutes ago to you. Here is what I wrote.

QUOTE:

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE for sensor

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc