Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

GE Profile Refrigerator TFX22PPDACC intermittently stops…

Customer Question
GE Profile Refrigerator TFX22PPDACC intermittently...
GE Profile Refrigerator TFX22PPDACC intermittently stops cooling. Turning off and on the fridge control knob would restore cooling for one-two days till next failure.
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Appliance
5/31/2018
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 22 days ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hi Kelly! We chatted in December and you helped me with a dryer.

I remember, you had a tricky one that took some real troubleshooting to get to the bottom of the trouble! Welcome back!

The symptoms you are seeing are indicative of control failure. The contacts in the temperature control are worn and the control will need to be replaced. The control is shown as number 424 in the diagram at the link below, accessed by removing the number 421 & 423 covers.

CLICK HERE

Unfortunately, that thermostat is no longer available. The only option will be to use an aftermarket replacement. That thermostat is available below and comes with wiring instructions. There are two wires, just as on the old one, so it will not be hard to install.

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
there is nothing to test before replacing the thermostat, correct?

No, especially if it is intermittent. But the fact that turning it off and back on restores operation indicates a control failure. That is a totally mechanical control system.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok, I've ordered the thermostat. Now would you please provide me with instructions on how to replace the thermostat?

Sure, you will remove the knobs then pull the plastic cover off. It is held on by pressure and will just snap off if you lift down and forward at the bottom. Once it is off, remove the metal screws from the control box cover and you will then have access to the thermostat. There are only two wires so you can't hook them up incorrectly.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Is there a video online that might help?
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Kelly, while I am waiting for the thermostat shipment (RepairClinic ignored my online request for speedy shipping) I read on internet comments that the Supco thermostat does not work for refrigerators which circulate air across the evaporator coils with a fan. Do you have personal experience with that thermostat installed in the fresh food section rather than in the freezer? The original part had a thermocouple apparently going to the evaporator which is absent in Supco SC1002. If you installed it, how did you mount it?
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 16 days ago

I apologize for the delay, I have been very ill.

This thermostat is the same style as the one that is in there now. It senses the air temperature, not the coil temperature. This one will not work in an application that calls for the capillary tube to be mounted on the evaporator, it is only used where the capillary tube is used to sense air temperature. I have used this thermostat in may repairs where the original thermostat is no longer available. Most oftentimes, the mounting holes will line up with the new thermostat. If they do not, you can simply mark and drill new holes in the metal plate to match the new thermostat's mounting holes or use the universal mount it comes with. To remove the thermostat from the universal mount, remove the knob and take the two screws out.

Let me know if you have any questions, thank you.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Hi Kelly, I wish you speedy recovery! Sorry while being unaware of your illness I called CS multiple times yesterday and asked for help. Why a moderator could not let me know via CS rep that you're sick? Quite disappointing. I thought that you have no answer to my last question. Look at the attached picture and you will understand my confusion: the original thermostat is depicted with a capillary tube! Is it a mistake on part of Appliancepartspro?
All mechanical thermostats have a capillary tube. On your model it does not mount on the evaporator coil.
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Thank you. Waiting for the thermostat delivery on Friday. Will let you know and rate your expertise.
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 15 days ago

Thank you.

Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 14 days ago

Install the new control and just leave the capillary tube coiled, it will not work if you mount it to the evaporator. That control senses the air temp and will work fine if you mount it and leave the cap[ tube coiled. You may have to adjust it several times to get it dialed in but there is a good deal of adjustment available on that. It is designed to work in just about all refrigerators needing a control.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
To mount a new thermostat I need at least to take it out of its box and even then I am not sure it would fit to the very tiny space where the original was sitting, particularly with additional tube coil. So right now I fasten it temporarily to the fridge wall, set on the highest temperature and will test it. Unlike the original one it does not allow to turn cooling off by rotating a knob, what is very inconvenient.

If you turn it all the way counterclockwise it is off....

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
With SC1002 set to minimally possible cooling the food on all open shelves got frozen. Is there anything to prevent freezing in the fridge?
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 11 days ago

Where do you have the capillary tube placed? If you move it up closer to the air damper where the cold air from the freezer comes in, it will shut off sooner.

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
The capillary tube is coiled and located inside the thermostat box. Are you suggesting to take it out of the box and somehow fasten its tip closer to the air damper?

Yes, it may be positioned anywhere. With this being a universal thermostat, it takes some adjusting to get it dialed in. Move that tube closer to the air damper and it should produce better results. The alternative to this thermostat is to replace the refrigerator, so it will be worth the effort. :)

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
The tube of the original thermostat goes inside the fridge, apparently to the evaporator. Why do you not recommend to take that tube out and replace it with the SC1002 tube?

It will not work if mounted on the evaporator, it will cycle off too soon.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Even with the tube tip located very close to the air dumper the fridge continue to freeze food in the infinite cooling cycle (without any breaks). I want to test cooling with the tube tip in the original location. What is inside the box through which the tube goes? I need to open it to try pull out the tube from the evaporator. Would the old tube get out easily? Do I need access to the evaporator from another point to replace the tube tip?
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 10 days ago

It is the air duct, see the breakdown at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
I see. The front and rear ducts on the diagram are fastened by only one screw, but actually there are 2 (look at my last photo). After I open the duct, could the old tube be pull out easily? Do I need access to the evaporator from another point to pull out and replace the tube?
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 9 days ago

The capillary tube from the old thermostat is not mounted on the evaporator coil. The replacement thermostat should shut off when it senses about 35-38* F when set in the lowest range, no matter where the cap tube is placed. I am not understanding why it is struggling to regulate the temperature correctly. I am going to see if another may have run into this.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
If not on the evaporator coil, where is it mounted? What is temperature there? If it is lower than in the fresh food section the Supco thermostat might sense and react better as the regulator would move out from the edge.
Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Kelly, I have not got a response from another technician. Why did you step out from my case?
Where is a tip of the original tube mounted? The picture I sent to you shows that it goes into the air duct box. But does it exit from the air duct to the left and leaves the fresh food section via plastic pipe seen on that picture? Or the tip located inside the air duct? I appreciate your response and help.