Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My KBRA20ELSS01 ice maker has only a 12 volt supply. Help!!

Customer Question
Hi, my KBRA20ELSS01 ice...

Hi, my KBRA20ELSS01 ice maker has only a 12 volt supply. Help!!

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

As I said, KitchenAid KBRA20ELSS01. About 11 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a brand new ice maker and water inlet valve.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
5/31/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

I may also be assisting you along with other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

Are you testing voltage ot the ice maker with the freezer light switch taped down ?

on this mode the power for the ice maker goes thru the freezer door switch if your testing it with the freezer door open and the light switch not taped down you will not get the correct voltage to the ice maker.

When the switch is down I have 12-14 volts to the purple/white stripe wire. When switch is up, no voltage.
Should there be contact between the dual plug connected to the door/light switch when door is closed?

not sure what your asking on your last sentence! of Should there be contact between the dual plug connected to the door/light switch when door is closed?

on the freezer light switch you will have three contacts Com , No ,and Nc com is voltage to the switch ,the No is the contact to the icemaker which wit the switch pushed in you will have a path for voltage and the Nc will be ope to the freezer light switch .

with the switch out you will then have a path for voltage from COM to NC to power the light bulb but then COM to NO will be open and no power to the ice maker

If you open the freezer door does the interior freezer light come on?

Ok. There a 3 prongs on the door/light switch. One prong has a single connector to delive 120v to the light bulb when the door switch is activated. The 2 other prongs have a dual connector with one red to one prong which supplies 120v and one purple/white stripe connector to the second prong. Again, when the door is open (switch down) there is 12-14v to the purple/white stripe prong. When door is closed, there is no voltage to the purple/white stripe prong. The purple/white stripe wire runs directly to the ice maker black (power supply) wire.

os and again if you open the freezer doro does the interior light come on?

And the Red wire is power to the switch ,what voltage to chassis ground to you get on the red to ground?

it make no difference if the freezer door is open or closed for this test

The light functions properly. I have 120v coming into the switch.
Basically what I would like to know if it is ok the apply 120v to the purple/white stripe wire.

ok so if you have 120 on the red wire and with the switch down as if the door was closed your only getting the 12-14 volts you have a bad freezer door switch .

Just to make sure, should the red 120v supply wire and the purple/white stripe wire be connected by the switch when door is closed?

yes when the door is closed the red L1 wire is connected to the icemaker purple /white

Ok, thank you.

no problem !

Always glad to assist you anytime.

Thank you in advance.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,

I will still assist you, no extra charges .

But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

You should see a rating box ,just click on the rating box and it will open the rating window for you to than rate me .

Thank you in advance.