Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an Amana refrigerator I bought used because we didn’t…

Customer Question
I have an Amana...

I have an Amana refrigerator I bought used because we didn’t have one when we moved into this apartment a few months ago. It seem that the refrigerator isn’t getting as cool as it was even a week ago. I checked the door seal & adjusted the temp inside but still no luck. The freezer seems to be working. Do you think it is the condenser coils. If so are they hard to clean?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Arb8057csl

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is possible to do I will.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. The water filter was acting up when I first got it, but it seems to be working fine now

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
5/31/2018
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Hi
  1. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?
  2. Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
to fan.
Let me look
No crazy built yp
Did I lose you?
The freezer looks and sounds fine.

Sorry for the delay, I have several questions going.

So, no frost and fan is running, yet fresh food is too warm. There is only one other thing that will cause that. Please allow me a few minutes to prepare.

Ok. Was just making sure I didn’t lose you. I pulled the fridge out now as well. I’ll wai.

What is the control at the top set at, in the refrigerator?

We noticed it because our beverages were as cold.
The coldest
We’re not as cold

See number 16 at the link below. If you place your hand in front of that part, do you feel cold air blowing out?

CLICK HERE

1. Any change if you open the freezer door?
  2. Any change if you adjust the control knob to the lowest setting?
Not really
The freezer seem to be working. Everything is still frozen. It just seems like the fridge isn’t getting cold air up to it.

If you use a flashlight to shine a light to the number 18 damper behind that cover, do you see the little door opening and closing as you adjust the knob?

But to be honest the freezer might not be working to it’s potential either because two weeks ago I would take ice cream out and it would be like a rock. Now it’s not.
^checking now

Thank you.

I just literally crawled into the fridge trying to look back there with a flash light. I can’t see anything. Is there any other way to get the cover off
Oh as adjust knob
Retrying

Yes, turn the knob and see if the door moves.

it moves
It definitely is cooling a little bit. Things aren’t spoiling yet.

Okay, is the area between the two compartments where the doors meet very warm?

No
Actually the bottom drawer is always the coldest part of the fridge

Okay, so from here you will need to remove the panel from the back of the freezer (inside) to expose the evaporator coil. We need to see if it is frozen up with frost or only frosted in a small area.

before this began to happen it was so cold it would’ve I put it in there freeze me

From the inside of the freezer
^if I were to put meat in there it would freeze it.
I think I do that from the back of the freezer. Let me know.

Yes, the very back wall will need to come off. The alternative is to open the doors for 24 hours with it unplugged to see if it improves.

From inside the freezer, the contents need to come out.

Ok.
Standby I’ll msg if or when I get this to happen. Lol

It will take a bit, keep me posted.

Maybe it’s because I have the door open but I was wrong. The bottom part does have frost on it.
It looks like the side arms of the bottom drawer need to come off
or not. Do I remove just those bolts? I see four

Oh, yeah, you have a defrost issue. All of the drawer and freezer needs to come out. It may be easier to unplug for 24 hours....

Once it thaws out, cooling will restore. If you are going to remove that rear panel, let me know and I can show you one part we can check once it is out.

I’m attempting to remove it now

Thank you.

Oh the door too. You’re right. I guess I will get a cooler and unplug it for 24 hours. Than what?

After thawing, I would replace the defrost timer, number 12 in that diagram up by the control.