Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

New water filter won't install nor will the old filter.

Customer Question
New water filter won't...

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Since I tried to replace the old filter

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. At the end of the "filter chamber" - item 8 on the cabinet parts list I can see a clear plastic cap that is at the end of the filter chamber and wondered if that should be there and if not is it preventing me from installing the old or new filter

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No - I have been advised to remove that clear plastic cap but not sure that is a good idea.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
5/31/2018
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

please give me the model number of the unit you are trying to replace the water filter on, thanks.

GC5SHGXLQ00
Do not call
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 months ago

Ok see image below, that is what a clear water filter housing looks like, if there is nothing in the housing, no filter, not bypass plug etc, just a empty filter housing ready for a new filter to be inserted,

click here for image

If there is something in housing press the button on the left side and pull the object out of the housing. If you are still unable to install the new filter and the housing is empty then the filter housing has jammed and will need to be replaced. Below is the replacement and video showing how.

Water Filter Housing WP2199840 - click here for part info at sears

click here for video showing how to replace the housing

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi there,
I see you have read the answer a while ago and I have not heard back from you, if there is nothing else I can help you with at this time please take a moment to rate my assistance and if you need anything later on you can still follow up, thank you.