Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My microwave kcms185J is locked and won’t start. I have

Customer Question
My microwave kcms185J is...

My microwave kcms185J is locked and won’t start. I have pressed the Cancel button to lock and unlock, but that doesn’t fix the problem. The buttons on the control panel work, but the microwave door will not open and the microwave doesn’t turn on when I press Start

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?

KitchenAid microwave model KCMS185J or KCMS185J 145J

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, this hasn’t happened before. Would like to fix myself if I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, don’t think so. The microwave makes a sound when I hit Start, but it doesn’t start cooking and the door is locked

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
5/31/2018
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

If locked appears on the display Touch and hold CANCEL/OFF until “UNLOCK” appears on display. (Two tones will sound.),... If that is not the case, unplug the unit or kill power to it at the breaker for 5 minutes then restore power and it should reset, if not let me know, thanks.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Ok, great will try that. Thanks. Should I keep this conversation open until I can try to reset microwave? Could be 15 mins or more.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 months ago

You can, it won't hurt anything.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi there,
I see you have read the answer a while ago and I have not heard back from you, if there is nothing else I can help you with at this time please take a moment to rate my assistance and if you need anything later on you can still follow up, thank you.