Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I am using the self cleaning on my GE stove and an F2 alarm…

Customer Question
I am using the...

I am using the self cleaning on my GE stove and an F2 alarm is beeping what do I do???

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

At least 18-19 yrs old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It is on self cleaning now with the door locked

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am by myself and it is pretty smoky

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
5/31/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

K

F2 means that your oven thinks your oven sensor is shorted. This is either a bad oven sensor or a bad display relay control board. First, just flip the breaker off to the oven or unplug the oven for 30 seconds and plug it back in. Look inside the oven and if the broil or bake element is glowing, unplug the oven or flip the breaker off until you replace the main control board. Otherwise, let the oven just cool down while plugged in and see if the door unlocks and resets.You can't test the board but you can test the sensor. Open the door and remove the 3-4" long thin metal rod attached to the back wall. There are 2 screws holding the sensor on that you can remove and then pull the sensor forward until you can disconnect it. With a multimeter, check the resistance of the sensor at room temperature and it should be about 1080 ohms. If it's not, replace the sensor, otherwise you need to replace your relay board.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I cannot do this I am by my self and don’t know how to open the door for it is locked! It is a built in oven don’t know where the plug is??? Can’t get to the breaker

Until the oven cools down, you can't unlock the door. If you can't unplug the unit and you can't get to the breaker---it's time to call a technician out to repair this for you, these are not issues I can control.