Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have whirlpool duet steam washer and got an F28 code. The…

Customer Question
I have whirlpool duet...

I have whirlpool duet steam washer and got an F28 code. The door is locked and will not open. A load of all my socks are being held hostage

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I would guess at least 10 years. The pause/cancel light went out, beeped several times and just flashing F then 28. But the door is still locked

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

All I want to do is get to my socks. Yes I am good when it comes to being told how to. I already tried the unplug, but memory seems to kick in

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just did the whitest whites cycle, left the cellar and came back when the load should have been done.

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Appliance
5/30/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 20 days ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.

I may also be assisting you along with other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.
The F28 error code is means a communications error has occurred ,

The most likely failed component is the door latch /lock switch .

Doe your washer have a separate lower front panel or is the front panel all one panel ?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It is a front load washer, so the only front panel is the door. No other opening or panel available.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I knew it was a failed communication code when I started this process, Whirlpool told me that. How do I fix it to open the door

Ok so if you have no lower front panel to unlock the door your going to need to remove the top washer panel (screw are in the rear of the top panel) then just push the top panel back 1/2 inch and lift the top panel off and set it aside.

Than reach down inside the front right corner just to the right of the door and you will need to find the manual latch release for the door lock and pull it an that will unlock the door on this mode.

Then you can remove the items in the washer. then try to run another load BEFORE you put the top panel back on .

It may work fine but if it does the same thing you will need to replace the door latch /lock switch assembly .

And if you need the parts info I can provide that to you, just let me know.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I did read your answer. At the moment it creates a few situations I have to address. The machine is in the far corner of the basement, a wall in the back and right side and up on cement blocks under the pedestal to make easier to reach. The problem is I need to get more of the same blocks to slide the machine onto. I may need to make a plywood sheet to slide the machine on. It is full and very hard to slide on block. I made it that way so it wouldn’t move in spin cycle. Further problems is that my wife has two abscess teeth which are more important to take care of her. I will get back to it after that. Up until a few months ago this machine sat for a few years(7) because all the controls were locking. The only thing locking now is the door,
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 19 days ago

Ok Have you by chance unplugged the unit for 5 minutes to try and reboot the electronic control board to see if it would unlock the door, then be able to start a new load ?

If not try that first if it still did not unlock then you will need to remove the top panel and manually unlock the door .

Hope the wife gets to feeling better also !

I been married for over 30 years so I KNOW if MOMMA is not happy the house in not happy!!

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Next week is 47 years. I have left it for hours unplugged and no reboot. I’ll try again today at some point

Wow ! few of us left that last that long it seems .

And if you can get the unit away from the wall even 2-3 inches and have a 1/4 socket and ratchet you can remove those screw for the top panel.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Ok when I do get back to it

No problem , you take care and will look forward to hearing from you ,