Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My 20 year old front loader washer is leaking oil. can it be…

Customer Question
My 20 year old...

My 20 year old front loader washer is leaking oil. can it be fixed?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Bought it in November 1998. model 417.40042990

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Serial Xco2800669###-##-####/p>

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No is there a part I can get. One repairman told me it was too hard to replace. too hard to get to.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Leaking oil can only come from the main bearing and seal on the back of your tub where the center shaft goes through the outer tub in the middle. If you're getting oil, your main bearing and seal has failed and those are built into the rear outer tub. The shaft which will also get damaged is part of the inner stainless tub. That means you'd have to replace both the entire inner stainless steel tub and the rear outer tub to fix this leak. That's about $700 in parts alone let alone the labor needed so it's really just not worth fixing I'm sorry to say.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thank you. sounds like it is not worth fixing. That's all I need to know. Please cancel my charging me anything else. I do not want to continue this subscription. Is itpossible? How much have I been charged so far? Thank you for your help

ok good luck to you.