Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our ice maker is making a humming noise. Fridgedaire

Customer Question
Our ice maker is...

Our ice maker is making a humming noise

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Fridgedaire frs6r5esbs

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Weve had it about 3 yrs

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If your icemaker is humming, use a hair dryer and thaw the icemaker out in case there is ice build up preventing the icemaker from rotating and harvesting properly. I that doesn't stop it from humming, you need to order and replace the icemaker. It may just be a noise, or it may get stuck filling and flooding your freezer, hard to know unless you want to wait and see what happens. Below is a link to the icemaker for your model.

CLICK HERE for icemaker

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hi Tyler The humming sound was in the back of the freezer, It would hum load for about a half hour to 45 minutes and then die down to normal. When we came home today we noticed that the water fixture is not disbursing water to drink and the freezer and fridge you can hear the electric is on but there is no coolant that is blowing cool air to keep food frozen. We have noticed the frozen food is starting to de- thaw. Please Advise!

It sounds like you have a defrost issue or a bad fan. You'd need to pull everything out of the freezer and unscrew and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer and thaw all the frost/ice out. This will cause the fan to hit the frost making a noise and the water reservoir will freeze over preventing the ice and water from working so once it thaws out it should works again as well.