Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE profile refrigerator Model #PSS26MSTD SS. On the…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE profile refrigerator Model #PSS26MSTD SS. On the freezer side the fan behind the plastic covering( above the 2 lights) will vibrate making an unacceptable noise. If I pull the plastic casing out slightly it will temporarily solve the problem.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I gave you the model #. The serial # is 411718. The name Arctica is on the front. My quess The refridge is about 10 yrs old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if you think it is possible.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It seems like a very simple problem. How do I move the plastic case back a few mm so the fan blades do not hit the plastic casing.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The best thing to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer starting from the bottom and working your way up until you get to the fan. Use styrofoam or two sided foam tape to put around the plastic fan bracket and the back panel so that it doesn't vibrate as much. This is something that just tends to happen as refrigerators get older.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Please give me more details how to remove the back panel of the freezer.

Without being there I'm not sure what more I can tell you. There are screws going into the lower back panel inside the freezer. Just start removing those screws and start removing the panel and work your way up. The screws are mostly going to be 1/4" hex nut screws.

Can i send you a picture . It looks to me the 4 hexagonal screws on the back panel would not allow me to remove the plastic covering over the fan

Again, you need to start from the BOTTOM and work your way UP. It's that simple. Just remove all the shelves and start removing screws starting from the bottom and working your way up. I don't understand the confusion--this is not a difficult task to do.

On this model the panel that you want me to remove sits underneath the fan case at the top edge, so removing it will not release the fan case. Any other ideas?

You're not listening to me. You have to remove everything from the bottom (starting at the floor) and work your way up. You can't access the fan right away like you're trying to do. You have to remove everything starting from the bottom and work your way up until you get to the fan. If you can't do this---it's time to call a technician out to do it for you.

I will try .Can I contact you if I run into problem ?

Yes, I'll still be here. Good luck.

I have removed the 4 hexagonal nuts and the long vertical gaskets at the 2 sides appear to be be still holding it securely in place. What now?

You need to just call a technician out to do this for you. I'm sorry I don't believe I'll be able to assist you here any longer as you don't have the basic skills to complete this task, so I'll opt out, but that will open this question to all other Experts, and someone will be along shortly to assist you

Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

The video at the link below shows how to access the fan area.

CLICK HERE

Hi Rusty. Thanks for the video but unfortunately that is not what I need to do. All I need to do(I think) is to put some foam tape around the plastic housing of the fan motor. I have removed the 4 hexagonal nuts but the large lower panel still will not come out. If I sent you a picture via email would that help ?

Heat the panel up with a hair dryer, it is probably frozen to the evaporator. The video was to show how to disassemble, not that you need to replace the fan.

There is nothing else that holds that panel in place, see number 213 at the link below.

CLICK HERE

far very disappointed in your help fixing my problem

Whatever, good luck.