Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an over the range microwave. The venting when cooking…

Customer Question
I have an over...

I have an over the range microwave. The venting when cooking is very weak and inadequate. I checked the vent piping to the outside. All is clear. It looks like the microwave is simply not venting with sufficient strength. I took off the charcoal filters. No change. Is there something on the microwave that I can check?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Amana mvh350ss. It was installed in a new house that we just moved into, so I am not sure of how old. But looks fairly new.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don’t think so.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Appliance
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
How is it going ?
5/29/2018
Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 26 days ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I am sorry nobody has gotten back to you yet. Are you still needing help with this?

If so, these will not draw anywhere close to as well as a range hood but should draw enough for most cooking styles. Is it not drawing at all if you strike a match and blow it out and follow the smoke?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
It is drawing some, but lots of smoke escapes- enough to routinely trigger the smoke alarm when the oven is used to cook anything.

Are you able to remove the microwave from the wall and inspect the blower to see if it is facing the correct way? It can blow out the front, top or back and I suspect it is not positioned correctly. In your installation, is it recirculating the air and blowing it out the front or do you have an external vent to the outside?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I checked that. It is not blowing into the room through the front vent. The air that it is sucking is definitely coming out the outside vent. There should be more of it. It appears to me that something in the microwave is constructing it somehow. Or the blowing is not at full strength, though the sound suggests that the fan is on high.

How does your model vent out, is there a vent outside?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
There is a 90 degree conduit that connects to a short conduit, less than 1 ft, to an outside vent. The bottom of the 90 degree conduit slides into the top of the microwave, and resides in a cabinet above the microwave. I opened that up, and cleaned it out- there was some grass that a bird dropped in there trying to build a nest. I also made sure that there were no leaks. There is one observation that might serve as a clue, maybe. When the vent conduit was made totally air right, I noticed some suction through the hole in the cabinet for the microwave power cord. I sealed that hole as well, but I was not clear on why there would be suction through that hole.

If you remove that vent and tun the fan on, does the air blow strong out the top? It sounds like the blower is turned to the wrong way.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
the air is definitely coming out on top. You can actually feel a pretty good current of air at that point. However, the air current on the bottom of the microwave (above the stove) seem weak. You can feel air there too, but it is weak. You have to put your hand right at the microwave vent to feel any air movement. But on top, the air current was solid. Almost like it was somehow getting some of the air from a location other than the vents below.

Does the draw change when the vent is removed and just blowing out at the top?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No- the draw through the top when the vent is open is about the same as the at the outside vent when the conduit is in place.

There must be some obstruction between the filters at the bottom and the outlet at the top. The parts breakdowns are at the link below. Can you remove the microwave from the wall to get the outer cover off to inspect internally?

CLICK HERE