Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE ADEH50 dehumidifier. Fan blows, compressor does…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE ADEH50 dehumidifier. Fan blows, compressor does not turn on. What can I check to see if compressor is good or a switch somewhere needs attention preventing compressor to turn on.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model ADEH50LQQ1 put in service 7/2012. This is one of two. The other is operating fine.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Hopefully

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have tools and usually can fix things

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
5/28/2018
Appliance Technician: Phil, Shop owner replied 2 months ago
Phil
Phil, Shop owner

Hello, there is no separate switch on those, but there is a humidistat that could be bad, OR the compressor or one of its start components could be bad, you will need a multi meter and a few hours time to do that diagnosis if I coach you on it,

.

If any of this is beyond your skill sets, or fails, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will locate a well rated service outfit in your area and run them through my own screening process for you.

.

Or I can coach you to a diagnosis if you have some technical skill sets.

Your question in that case goes beyond 'Just a simple Answer' and will require a few hours training and coaching to a full diagnosis and possible repair … IF you have a multi meter and considerable mechanical skills, rate this answer so far positively and I can do all that for you without any time limits … even if it takes days.

-----------------

That way I do not loose my shirt helping you, you can still refund if I fail.

$25phone calls are 100% optional but will speed up the training,coaching and troubleshooting process in most cases.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the units service access cover, and I will mark that up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) tome.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope by the time we are finished that I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Rating will not increase your charges but it is how I earn a living

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I went back to the unit, started it up again --fan is on no compressor -- no heat on air exhaust, filter clean, tank clear. It reads the humidity in the room (same as the other operating dehumidifier) and I can set it to 45% demand --comes back to read the 60% in the room.
Is it possible that I have lost the refrigerant?
I see the 6 or 8 screws on the back -- I guess the next step is to open the back. getting close to supper ..a tomorrow job perhaps. (or buy new as my wife suggests).

The switch in the electronic control module that sends power to the compressor is bad IF the compressor is cool to the touch after sitting plugged in for several hours, IF the compressor is hot or warm, one of its capacitors is bad or the compressor is bad

Please rate my work so far, so that I do not loose my shirt going into this extended coaching etc, I will appreciate it

We can go from there without a time limit