Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

FREEZER GETTING COLD NO AIR COMMING THRU REFRIGERATOR VENT.

Customer Question
FREEZER GETTING COLD NO...

FREEZER GETTING COLD NO AIR COMMING THRU REFRIGERATOR VENT

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

GSH22JTFCC C

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

YES

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Appliance
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/28/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 27 days ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer section which means something is preventing air from getting to the refrigerator from the freezer. This sounds like a common issue and it means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE for heater

Now I did want to point out that there are a few other possibilities like the defrost timer/control board or the defrost sensor, but these rarely fail on this model and there is no way to test the heater for certain to know if it's good or not. The reason is because that the heater is glass and can get water inside of it when it fails so it will show good continuity even when it's bad sometimes. That's why the best course of action is to replace the heater since it's by far the most common problem.

If you really wanted to test the the sensor, look for the white plastic bullet at the top of the silver evaporator coils with 2 small wires going to it. You'd need to cut the wires going to the sensor and then put the sensor in ice water for 5 minutes. The resistance should be right around 16.3 kΩ. If not then the sensor would need to be replaced. I don't advise doing this test because you must cut the wires just to test it so I'd reserve this option in case the problem persists after you replace the heater.

And below is a link to the sensor just on the off chance you need it.

CLICK HERE for sensor

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
MY UNIT WAS DOWN A FEW DAYS BOUGHT A EVAPORATER FAN MOTOR BUT NO AIR COMMING THRU VENT TO REFRIGERATOR SIDE
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
NO KEEP TYPING

Did you not get my answer? I gave you all the possibilities. I'm not sure what more I can type?