Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My washer is stuck on a cycle and water is collecting at the…

Customer Question
Hello my washer is...

Hello my washer is stuck on a cycle and water is collecting at the bottom of the washer. I think the drain may be clogged

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Whirlpool camrbio model number WTW5800BW0. I bought it about 2 years ago

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I can if it’s a simple fix but willing to pay

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Ok thanks

I think you're on the right track. So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing or possibly your drain pump being clogged up. Both the drain pump and the actuator motor are located below the tub and if you're wondering, the actuator is the part that switches the shifter next to the motor. You'll want to first check the drain pump first which is below the tub. Just remove it and if you find nothing inside, re-install and move onto the actuator. If you find debris inside the pump, remove it and try the washer again.

To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off if the lid lock light is flashing that is OK)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “g” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one full rotation and the control panel should beep.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

g. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. And all the LEDs should light up or flash if you did it correctly. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

Also, below is a video that might help you pull up the error code.

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I was able to enter diagnosis mode

OK... all the LEDs should light up or flash if you did it correctly. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click clockwise and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting.

Sensing soak flashing EOFO displayed on est time remaining

OK that means no errors are detected. So unfortunately that isn't going to help you figure out what's wrong. You'll need to check the drain pump as I mentioned before and if that's not an issue, replace the actuator.

I checked the drain pump. No blockage there. I’ll check the actuator. Where can I purchase this part locally?

Not sure where you can buy it locally. You'd need to call and see if there is an appliance parts store near you. Other than that, if the actuator doesn't fix it and you're not getting an error, your main control board inside your control panel is bad and would need to be replaced.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Ok. If the actuator is bad would that be a cause for water collecting at the bottom of the washer
Underneath the unit.. collecting in the pan beneath the washer?

There is no pan beneath the washer---the washer is open below the tub if you tip it back and look through the bottom.

I got that part. There is a pan that the washer sits on to catch water if it leaks. Which it is doing now..

The actuator wouldn't cause a leak. You would have to watch it through a cycle to determine where it's leaking from if you don't see signs of hard water dripping---that is a completely different issue and could be caused by an unbalanced load.

Ok

Good luck. I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.