Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Panasonic Genius Prestige microwave, When I go to…

Customer Question
I have a Panasonic...

I have a Panasonic Genius Prestige microwave, When I go to use it the code H98 comes up, and it won't heat.

Contractor's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Microwave

Contractor's Assistant: What Panasonic product do you have?

Microwave, model#NN-SD978S

Contractor's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic product?

I tryed to heat a sandwich, and won't heat.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I unpluged it to see if that would reset it .but it didn't.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2018
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

That error code means the magnetron has failed.

Anytime a microwave runs but does not heat means that the magnetron ( Its purpose is to generate microwave energy. The high-voltage components accomplish this by stepping up AC line voltage to high voltage, which is then changed to an even higher DC voltage. This DC power is then converted to the RF energy that cooks the food.)

has failed and will have to be replaced. This is a dangerous repair because microwaves hold high voltage even when power is not being supplied to the unit, so it is highly recommended that only a qualified technician make this repair. The magnetron and also the diode that will need to be replaced usually run in the range of 140.00 -300.00 just in parts depending on the model. If you would still like to attempt this repair yourself let me know and I will give you the replacement part numbers needed to make the repair, thanks.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service. Rating the answer does not close the question out, you can still find it in your My Questions if you need to follow up and have a further conversation with me. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I need the replacement part number.
I don't need to talk to anyone, just give me the part number.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 months ago

Microwave Magnetron

Part #: 2M261-M32KLP - click here for part info at sears

Microwave Inverter Board

Part #: F606Y8M00AP - click here for part info at sears

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi there,
I see you have read the answer a while ago and I have not heard back from you, if there is nothing else I can help you with at this time please take a moment to rate my assistance and if you need anything later on you can still follow up, thank you.