Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My microwave is not quite a year old and last night it just…

My microwave is not...

My microwave is not quite a year old and last night it just abruptly stopped heating at all

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

We just bought the house and kitchen was completely remodeled last summer; so, it's about a year old. Hang on and I'll get the make and model

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I don't know. probably not unless it's something really easy like some type of breaker switch is flipped.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Model - JVM6175SK1SS

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/15/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $100 so depending on the condition of the microwave and whether you can fix it yourself or not, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Shoot - I think it's better to just replace it. Thanks for your help

If the unit isn't even a year old yet, call GE at 1.***-***-**** and it should still be under warranty.