Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have kenmore dishwasher #665.15805891, 18 years? yes, not…

Hi, i have kenmore...

Hi, i have kenmore dishwasher #665.15805891

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

18 years?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/13/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

How may I help with your dishwasher today?

hi yes. so my dishwasher panel won't respond or light up. during last cycle, there was some soapy water remaining so it didn't drain.
i have reset the circuit breaker a number of times. i took out the fuse and checked via multi meter...shows zero ohms. so don't think it is broken. i also tried various combination sequences to reset the panel but it did nothing

What fuse did you remove, from the dishwasher or your home's breaker panel?

from the dishwasher. i removed the fuse and tested it. installed it back. most likely my dishwasher is directly hard wired as i don't see it plugged into anything near the sink

Okay, can you measure voltage from one of the wires on that fuse to ground to see if you have 120 VAC? If you do, the control is faulty. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

you are suggesting that i need to check whether i have power at the control panel in the first place...makes sense. sorry i am not electrician....can you walk me through how to check for 120 VAC?
btw...is working with you on phone an extra $24 or whatever i paid already on justanswer.com?

Yes, phone service is extra. Before you take the door apart, remove the small access panel from below the door and check the wiring connections in the right front corner. Do they look intact?

i see..how much time do i have with you on chat?
i just want to make sure before i go running between computer and kitchen several times

There is no time limit, we go until you are no longer hand washing dishes.

i took out the 2 lower front panels. the connections seem intact..i.e. no smell or marks etc
should i be opening up the electrical junction box in the right front corner as well?

Yes, take that cover off and see if the wires are connected and not burnt.

looks good. intact. nothing burnt. connections look like they are as original inside the plastic connector caps. i gave a light tug...they didn't fall apart

Okay, so it would be prudent to test to see if the control is getting voltage.

1. Can you access that fuse now for testing?
  2. Also, what is the model of the meter you have and I can explain testing procedure?
i can open up the door and get to the fuse. i have digital multi meter tacklife dm02A

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

should i put back the electrical junction box? should i be testing for power first at the electrical junction box? if so i need to turn on the circuit breaker

You can test at the junction box first, if you'd like. Circuit breaker back on, meter set to 2nd position from off, V~, one meter lead to white wire, one to black. You should see about 120 volts on the display.

in my meter one is red and other is black. i put black in comm port of meter, red in the Volt, amp port. does it matter which of the red/black color i make contact with white/black of junction box?

The black to the COM in the center, the red lead to the one to the right.

It does not matter polarity while testing the black and white wires.

got it. let me test

You bet, thank you!

i guess it is easier if i unscrew the wire connectors first. let me do that with cb off.

Yes, or you can stick meter probes up into the connectors.

it reads 123.9 V. i switched polarity just to be sure and it is same reading. so looks like power is coming through
any other checks before i turn off the cb? as i need to open up the door panel?

Yes, indeed. So now, go ahead and hook it back yup and access the fuse. Test from one lead at the fuse to any metal on the cabinet. Test both sides of the fuse, just to be sure,

while the fuse is still connected?
should i be unplugging the 2 connectors to the fuse at all?

Leave the fuse connected, test each wire for 120 VAC with one meter lead to ground and one to the wire terminal.

should iturn the cb on??

Yes, we are testing the voltage through the fuse to the control.

is a screw holding the whole box near the fuse a good candidate for ground?
i got like 7.6 V if i just shoved my meter lead/red into one of those fuse terminals and the black lead of meter to a screw nearby

No, you have to touch a metal part of the frame, like one of the mounts under the cabinet that is close or the door frame.

okay i connected the black lead to the metal clamp by the junction box we tested earlier. it reads like 6.8 V. i changed up the red lead of meter to either connections of the fuse...same result 6-7 V
i also tried the metal door frame. same thing - 6-7V

Okay, so there is a problem between the junction box below and that fuse. Turn the breaker off. Look at the wiring at the bottom of the door where it bends around the tub. Does it look worn or damaged in any way?

no issue with the fuse itself?
i also have a new fuse with associated wires..fyi. i got it just incase

No, no voltage is getting to the fuse.

nothing looks suspicious. here is another thought. the fuse is connected to the door switch. at that switch junction there are 4 wires, there is a black and white wire that i can trace back to the junction box. then one of them goes to the fuse and the other one (white with purple stripe) goes to the door switch.
should we test voltage at the door switch junction? when i press on that junction, i hear an audible clik...just like when the dishwasher door clicks shut

I don't have a wiring diagram for that Kenmore model but looking at the wiring diagram for a compatible Whirlpool, the door switch would not cut the main power to the fuse. However, if one of the wires from the black wired switch is going to the fuse, it may be wired in series with the fuse. Do the wire terminals on the door switch look discolored?

Test at both black wires to ground for 120 VAC, one should be there all the time and the other only when the switch is pressed closed.

wires dont' look discolored. at the switch, there is one white and black. don't see 2 black wires

There should be two switches, each switch should have two wires, correct?

all i can see is 4 wires...white and white with purple stripe on one side, black and the brown that goes to fuse on other side....it seems black and white w purple are on the same level and other 2 on same level. i have turned cb on

Okay, so test both sides of the switch that has he black and the brown wire.

okay..lets step back. i realized that when i was testing the fuse, i wasn't pressing the door switch. so when door switch was open, the fuse showed 6-7volts. i pressed the door switch and then tested the voltage at the fuse again...i get 122 V. either leads i get that voltage with ground
it looks like door switch is in series with the fuse
there is power at the fuse

Okay, so that shows that power is good to the control, so the control is faulty. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

got it..yeah go ahead

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

Nice job testing all that!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

let me verify again....
that fuse is working properly

If you have 120 volts on each side and the wire is intact from it to the control, the control is faulty.

got it. i just double checked. as you assessed...i may have to replace the control panel. thanks for your help. when i replace the panel, how can i connect back with you? and do i have to pay again?

You do not pay any extra, you simply post right back here. The easiest way back is to follow a link from your email. There is no time limit or expiration, post back anytime! After you rate, it locks the question to me to avoid the confusion of another being notified of your reply.

ok...i will rate you. will connect back in few days.

Sounds good, thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Hi Kelly, I had ordered the control panel and should arrive by Friday. I guess I will replace it Saturday afternoon around 3 pm eastern time. Will contact you then.

Thank you.

Kelly, i have the part (control panel) so i would like to try and fix the dishwasher tonight. do you have time to be on call around 7 pm eastern?

Yes, I was away for a bit but will be here for a few hours now. Thank you.

okay...cb is off. i am taking apart the door and get to the control panel. will post in 5-10 min

Sorry for delay, was tied up on a call request. Let me know how it goes.

i placed the control panel in. fuse in. all connected. after cb is on, and dishwasher door switch is closed, get only 14 v at fuse. so now cb is off and am looking at my connections to the control paanel

Hmm, door switches all connected and closing okay?

i hear the door switch clik. so looks okay. trying back again. going to turn on cb

Okay, keep me posted.

alright. success.
122 v at either fuse terminal. new control panel in place. what can we check next
i guess my door switch was loose or not closing properly earlier

Okay, so it should light up now, no?

hang on..so i should see lights on the outside of the door?

Yes, it should start a cycle now.

my door is open...all the wires are exposed. i dont want to turn on the dishwasher now

Okay, then button it up and then shut the door and see what happens. :)

ok. i think is working. i cliked on cancel and i heard it turn on. let me button it up and then see
it seems to be working, i assembled the door. started a quick rinse cycle

Woohoo, success! Nicely done!

Thanks for your help! I am hoping that there isn’t a systemic problem. Hopefully this is done and done for a very long time. If not, I will be back. Regards..

Should be good to go, have a great weekend