Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Bosch dish washer is about 9 yrs old. Where normally ,I…

Hello. My Bosch dish...

Hello. My Bosch dish washer is about 9 yrs old. Where normally ,I would open the door fill the soap push the power button then shut the door to begin the cycle. Now when I do the same thing, the washer does not begin the wash cycle. It turns on with an audible sound with the door open but the cycle does not start. Just a electric motor sound. What do you think? Thanks Jim Durkin

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I think about 9 or 10 yrs. not sure of the exact model.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well, like I said. The cycle use to start after closing the door. But now the motor sound then begins with out the door closing. But again, it does not wash the dishes. The motor just turnes. I’m thinking possible a door switch.

5/8/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Unfortunately, your dishwasher is stuck in "flood mode". The motor you hear running is actually the drain pump constantly running. What that means is that water has worked its way down into the base pan below the dishwasher tub causing the unit to do nothing but drain. This is normally caused by the drain being clogged or too many suds in the tub causing the tub to overflow a bit. Either way, you'll need to uninstall the dishwasher and tip it forward at a 45-degree angle to drain the water out of the base pan. Be sure to put a towel under the dishwasher first so that the water is soaked up in the towel instead of going all over the floor. Once you've drained all the water out of the base pan, reinstall the dishwasher and pour a gallon of water in the dishwasher. If it drains it out right away and doesn't wash or refill, you still have water left in the base pan to try again, otherwise you're good to go.

Now if you don't want to do all this work just to get your dishwasher working again and you have time, let the dishwasher just sit unused for a week and the water in the base pan will evaporate as time goes on and the dishwasher will start working again after a week.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

by draining the water. By tilting 45,, if the drain for the washer is possible at least partially blocked. That will need to be addressed. Correct? Or is there some type of chemical that could help? Also, should the machine be serviced? Is there a maintenance schedule??
Model # shx57co5uc/43

You can't use a chemical. Typically the issue is from suds or the disposal not being cleared completely so the best thing to do is just tip the unit and drain the dishwasher and then run a cycle and almost always the problem doesn't come back. If it does come back, then you'll need to probably get a technician to come out and see what is blocked or leaking.

Thanks I’ll give it a shot.

No problem and good luck.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

If the dishwasher went back into flood mode, something is leaking. You'd have to uninstall the dishwasher and remove the left and right side panels. Dry all the water in the base panel and then run the dishwasher. Watch below the dishwasher and try to locate the leak. If this isn't something you can do yourself, you may need a technician to track down the leak.

Thanks! I’ll give it a shot..
Hi Tyler. With regard to my Bosch dishwasher.. I removed the machine and removed the side panels to gain access. With the machine hooked up, I ran it through it’s cycle. With a flashlight, I saw no obvious leaks a.k.a hoses or dripping. But, torward the mid to end of its cycle. Water began to very slowly fill in the pan. It could not be seen from where but it seemed to swirling on the side of the motor or if your looking at the machine from the perspective of the door, it would be on the right side. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Without being there to inspect the machine myself, there is no way I can tell you where the leak is coming from. Coming from the middle of the machine it's likely that the circulation pump or drain pump aren't sealing up properly and would need to be replaced, but you'd need a technician to come out there and track the leak down to be certain.