Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My warranty company is making me replace my Maytag washer.

My warranty company is...

My warranty company is making me replace my Maytag washer. They are offering the gtw460asjww as an equal replacement. I needed to know RPMs and total capacity to start.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

2003 MAV 7200AWW

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The appliance company is making me take a new machine. I purchased this machine in 2003. The model is mav7000aww

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am concerned that I am getting a lower grade of machine.

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/5/2018
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The capacity of the new washer is 4.2 cu ft and spins at 700 rpm. Your old washer is 3.2 cu ft and spins at 640 rpm The washer is definitely an equivalent although it's a different brand. Maytag is generally more expensive than GE so that is really the difference you're going to see when it comes to price.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

It's like I said, space I am concerned that the machine that they are making me take is not as good as the machine I had. I am concerned there are fewer options

You have answered what I've already known. The rpms information is helpful. Do you know if these machines have similar options question marks specialty Cycles? A special agitator?. From what I can see in this newer model is the bottom of the line for GE. I do not think my washer was the bottom of the line for Maytag when I purchased it. Do you know anything about the options versus model?
They are only giving me $440 towards my old washer. Because of this dollar amount I have been forced to the bottom of the GE line of washers. When I purchased my Maytag it was not at the bottom of the line of Maytag washers. If I remember correctly it was near the top. I know the warranty company uses the cubic total capacity to restrict their customers in their replacement options. I could care less about RPMs or capacity size. I have been with this Warranty company since 2001. I need an objective comparison of options between these two models. I am much more concerned with Options and Specialty Cycles= delicates, handwash, water temperature combinations, extra rinses, extra spins, pre-soak, soak. I have argued with this Warranty company before and have been able to prove my point and they have had to grant me more money as a starting point for my replacement Appliance. God knows I have paid them enough money over the years to be able to replace every single Appliance in my house and then some. I would just like some help doing the comparison so I can go back to the warranty company and argue for a higher base price based on the options I had with my Maytag. That is the information I need to help me resolve this dilemma. Hopefully you can help me with my questions about comparingg these two models. The previous technician did not answer my question about the comparison of options. Rpms yes and a few other points but he quickly based his comparison on those two items and price. That was not all information that I needed. That is why I am asking for a second technician.
bonzaco

New washing machine specs --

Type

• Top-Loading

Height46 in.

Width27 in.

Depth27 in.

Weight138 lbs.

Wash Capacity4.2 Cu. Ft.

Max Spin Speed700 rpm

Water Temperature Settings6

Available Wash Cycles14

Common Wash Cycles / Options

• Delayed Wash
  • Second Rinse
  • Delicate
  • Whites
  • Sanitation / Allergen
  • Custom

Energy Star ComplianceNo

Estimated Yearly Energy Use284 kwh

Estimated Yearly Operating Cost33 $

Stainless Steel TubYes

Dispensers

• Bleach
  • Fabric Conditioner

Available Colors

• White

Manufacturer Color DescriptionWhite

Smart ConnectivityNo

Water HeaterNo

Digital ControlsNo

If you need the details for the Maytag let me know and I will list those also. Or if you have more specific info you need come back to me.

I could use the same information on the Maytag thank you

OK give me a short while and I will pick the bits out of the haystack.

Maytag Specifications

Dimensions/Weight/Specifications

Width:

27"

Height:

43 3/8"

Height (w/ Lid Open):

53 1/8"

Depth:

28 1/4"

Weights (Crated/Uncrated):

168 lbs./152 lbs.

Motor:

1/2 HP, 120-Volt, 60 Hz., Single-Phase, Thermally Protected against Overload

Hose Length:

Inlet: 4 feet; Drain: 4 feet

Features

Capacity:

3.2 cu. ft.

Controls:

Rotary

Washtub:

Stainless Steel

HydroFlex Agitator:

Plus

Motor Speed:

Two-Speed

Speed Combinations:

6

HydroClean Wash System:

Yes

TurboRinse System:

Yes

Extended Spin:

Yes

Water Level Control:

Infinite

Water Temperature Combinations:

7

Automatic Temperature Control/CorrecTemp Control:

Yes

Warm Rinse Option:

Yes

Extra Rinse Option:

Yes

Delicates Option:

Yes

Handwash Cycle:

Yes

Presoak/Pretreat Cycle:

Yes

Prewash Cycle:

Yes

Soak Only Cycle:

Yes

Permanent Press/Wrinkle-Free Cycle:

Yes

Cottons/Colors Cycle:

Yes

Sweaters Cycle:

Yes

Quiet Cycle Select:

Yes

Spot-Treat w/ Finger Faucet:

Yes

Bleach Dispenser:

Yes

Fabric Softener Dispenser:

Yes

End-of-Cycle Signal:

Remind

Quick Setting/Quick Wash:

Yes

Easy Access:

Yes

Sound Package:

Quiet Plus II

Self-Cleaning Lint Removal:

System

Six-Point Suspension System:

Yes

Rear Self-Levelers:

Yes

So if you compare like for like they are fairly well matched. Your Maytag built in North America, is an old workhorse that has given you good service for the last 16 years. Not too many bells and whistles just a good solid product

GE now owned by the Chinese company Haier, likely that this appliance is still made in the USA but I can't be sure. Haier is one of the largest appliance manufacturing companies in the world.

I guess its a finite balance, do you pay more and get another Maytag, or do you take the GE which is newer with more up to date electronics and using less electric, but possibly won't last as long as the Maytag. Also take into consideration that the Maytag you have is a genuine Maytag machine. Maytag was purchased by Whirlpool in 2006 so the current Maytag appliance is a rebadged Whirlpool.

I hope that has fully answered your questions, if so kindly rate the advice given today ~ if you need further help come back to me.

bonzaco