Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have Bosch refrigerator model # b20cs80sns/01. It leaks…

I have Bosch refrigerator...

I have Bosch refrigerator model # b20cs80sns/01. It leaks water on the floor. A serviceman said he needs to replace the water line from door dispenser to under the fridge to somewhere in the back. Can I buy the tubing from Home Depot? Do I need to buy clamps or fittings also? He wants to charge me $80 for that tubing, plus labor/installation.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model number b20cs80sns/01. We moved into the house six years ago, and the refrigerator was already there.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably not, depending on whether we have to get underneath the fridge, or can do it all from the front and back.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. Thank you. Just need to know if we can use hardware store tubing, if we need other related parts to install, and if we need to go underneath or can do all from front and back of fridge.

4/10/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

There is a coupling right at the bottom of the door, is that where it is leaking?

That should be easy to replace. All you do is remove the tubing from the coupling, and then pull it out at the dispenser. There is a tube in the door that it slides through. YOu can replace it with water tubing from the hardware store, sure. It is 1/4" tubing. You can insert it back down through the door at the dispenser and it will follow that tube to the outlet at the bottom to insert into the coupling. Just make sure the tube is cut square and clean at the coupling! :)

The attached page shows how to access the dispenser internally.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Thank you.
Does the tubing then run under the refrigerator to someplace in the back? To the ice maker? Could that also be leaking?

No, the tubing in the door connects at the coupling under the door, which is part of the water tank inside the refrigerator.

We will work on the fridge this weekend. If your answers get us through the job, you'll def get a 5-star. :) If it doesn't get us through, we'll just ask another question or two to be able to complete the job. And yes, we'd be happy to give a 5-star rating then as well.
Thanks for your expertise and your time. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Thanks for your expertise.
I have another question related to this repair.
I found that the broken tubing is not from the dispenser to the connection at the bottom of the door. The broken part is from that connection to underneath the fridge....to the water line. How is that line replaced?
Hi, Kelly. Hoping to get your reply so that we can complete the repair this weekend. I'm heading to Home Depot in a few minutes. Wondering how long a piece of the tubing I should buy. Thanks so much.
Good afternoon, Kelly. Are you available to answer the follow up question above? Thank you.

Sorry for the delay, I was away for a bit. The easiest way to repair that will be to buy a coupling called a Guest fitting at the hardware store and then however much tubing is leaking. That tube is part of the entire water tank at the link below. If you would rather replace the entire tank, I can send instructions for that, too.

CLICK HERE

No problem. Thanks for your reply.So how do I replace that tube (or the entire water tank)? Do I need to access underneath the fridge? How do I get under it? Maybe I do need the instructions. :)
Or do I only access the tank and water line via the front and back of the fridge? Will special tools be needed? Is it doable for a mechanical layman, or do I have to hire a Bosch professional to do the job?
Thanks again.

You can replace the tank if you are not comfortable replacing just the one part of the water line. The tank comes with everything you need. The water tank is mounted behind the crisper drawers in the refrigerator. There are two lines that will go out the floor bottom and one line then goes to the valve and the other will go under the cabinet to the door connector. See the attached picture.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today?

Kelly, Appliance Technician

How disappointing to see that you found zero value in my help, even after sending all the information to you that you needed. I hope you don't have to work for free....