Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE monogram bottom freezer. The initial problem is…

Customer Question
I have a GE monogram...
I have a GE monogram bottom freezer. The initial problem is the fridge temperature was 53 degrees and freezer was 23 degrees. I changed out the thermistor, bimetal, and evaporator fan motor in the freezer. The temperature was then -15 in the freezer and 42 in the fridge side. I then changed out the control board and it’s still reading -15 in freezer and 42 in the cooler side. Please help.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Hello?
Is anyone going to help me with this question or do I have to cancel?
4/10/2018
Appliance Technician: Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician

Please send the model number of your fridge ( it starts with letter Z )

Model-ZICS360NRAL

OK be back after I look up this fridge.

Ok

You replaced the freezer fan motor and a thermistor ( which thermistor , the one attached to the evaporator ) Also while you were in there did yo notice the evaporator was nearly covered in frost ?

I replaced both thermistors in the freezer section. Yes it was covered with frost.

Ok , usually when this happens ice will get into the air chutes , one is above the freezer fan and is built in to the back wall . Air goes up this chute to the top of the fresh food section and there is a damper ( electronically controlled by the main board ) There is another chute behind the left vegetable bin that lets air return to the freezer ( provides circulation through the fresh food section ) If either of these have ice in them the fresh food won't reach the right temp. You can also see if the damper is open. Remove the light cover and the six or eight screws holding the upper section to see the damper and the door should be open.

I did remove the 8 screws and checked the top dampener. I didn’t check the area behind the vegetable bin.

Did you feel good airflow at the damper , the damper WAS open ?

You have to have an airflow issue . The freezer is working ( actually too cold ) and the fresh food isn't cold enough. On this fridge there is no secondary evaporator for the fresh food section ( some Monograms do ) The fresh food area totally relies on the freezer fan pushing air up into the fresh food and return air back

Still there ?

I have to go on a call. Check to see if you answered back later .

I’ll check the vegetable area for airflow and let you know.

OK

I did check the vent behind the vegetable bin. It’s wide open. Nothing blocking it.
I do notice that when I push the light switch I’m the refrigerator, the fan stops running.
I do have another question on this fridge. I might have put the fanblade in wrong. Does it matter how the fanblade is positioned?

Y​es it matters how the blade is on . blade is curved and you want the curved part that goes inward to push the air ( a little hard to explain ) Usually the blade has a stop in it soit can only go on one way. But you're saying when you push the light switch IN on the fresh food section , the freezer fan goes off ? Is the freezer drawer also open when this happens ?

The freezer door is closed and I close the fridge light switch and the fan goes off. This fan blade has a hole on both ends. Do you have a picture of which side is correct?

T​he picture of fan blade is not good to tell you which way it goes , however the concave part of the blade FACES the fan motor , the motor runs counterclockwise , so of course the blade is turning counter clockwise as you face the fan blade , the air is being pulled toward the fan motor . The blades are cupped so you want the blades to have the concave side toward the motor. the fn blade should be on the motor shaft so it is about halfway into the shroud. Aren't there two switches in the fresh food section _ one is for lights and the other is for the fan ? If the fresh food doors are shut and you open the freezer and push in and out on the door switch do the lights go on and off and the freezer fan run with it pushed in ?

If you have no further questions - please rate my answers - it's how I get paid. If you still need help , continue to post.

the flat part of the fan would be facing down?

F​LAT part ?? Normally on end of the fan blade has a small C-clip on the part that fits the shaft - this part would be facing AWAY from the fan motor . Does your fan blade have this ?

Just Google " concave versus convex " there is a picture. You want the concave of the blade facing the fan motor .

On any fan blade be it like yours or a squirrel cage fan , the concave part is doing the " work " so you want the concave part to be on so in relation to which way the motor is turning , the concave part is "grabbing ' the air. If jit is on backwards it is barely moving any air.