Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Have kitchenaid fridge leaks water out left side.. I have…

Have kitchenaid fridge leaks...

Have kitchenaid fridge leaks water out left side.. I have done the cleaning of the grommet in the back under. grommet had some contamination now all clean still leaks. where that drain pipe starts?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

KBFS20EVMS11

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I donnt see anything else just the leak

4/9/2018
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your Kitchenaid refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers. Please note that your Kitchenaid is made by WHIRLPOOL.

I'm sure this has been an annoying issue!

You have a clogged defrost drain. This is an advanced repair. Since you don't have the specific tools that technicians use for this - If you do want to take this repair on, the easiest way for a homeowner to do this is to unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours with the freezer door open. This melts the ice that is in the drain pan and drain hole at the back of the freezer inside. Of course, you will need a place for your food. Be sure to also remove any ice cubes so that they don’t leak on to your floor. The alternative is hot water injection into the drain hole to thaw it. This is difficult and technicians use special tools to access the drain hole and do ths.

You will then need to replace the defrost drain tube in the back underneath the refrigerator to reduce the risk of this happening again The part can be found HERE

Here is a VIDEO for your additional information that helps with this repair.

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.

Our fridge has a grommet and an open half tube that goes to drain pan. all clean and free

So if you pour water in the pan it comes down the tube?

The pan inside the freezer behind the wall is what is usually frozen. If you pour water in that pan and it does not go down the tube then you'll need to follow the procedure I outlined. If not, can you tell me where the leak is coming from?

Engineer-Tech
Will try tks

You're welcome. That is where it is normally frozen over. In the pan inside the freezer behind the back wall (vents). That is the key to stopping the leak - getting the drain hole in that pan thawed.