Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I changed the water filter in my refrigerator and now it…

Customer Question
I changed the water...

I changed the water filter in my refrigerator and now it will not produce ice

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Samsung 29 cf French door and about 2 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No that's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
4/9/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the ice compartment is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice (you may need to use a turkey baster if the area is tight). If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. If the fill tube isn't frozen, then your valve is bad and would need to be replaced.

Now by far the most likely case is going to be that your fill tube is frozen if I had to guess, because when you replace the filter air gets added to the system and that will cause the fill tube to freeze up if not enough air was purged by running water through the dispenser after replacing the filter.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.