Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool refrigerator model #GSF26CA4EXFO2 THAT…

I have a whirlpool...

I have a whirlpool refrigerator model #GSF26CA4EXFO2 THAT THE FREEZER SIDE IS NOT COLD AN THE ICEMAKER IS EMPTY. How do I trouble shoot it.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

GSF26CA4EXFO2 The refrigerator is 7 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can troubleshoot it.

4/7/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

1. Is the fan running in the freezer section?
  2. Can you tell if the compressor in the back is running?
The fan is running in the freezer section. I don't know how to check if the compressor is running.

Can you pull the refrigerator out and remove the access panel from the back of the cabinet at the bottom?

I can hear the fan running at the bottom in the back

Okay, so it will be very important to feel the compressor to see if it is cool, warm and vibrating or hot and not vibrating.

It's warm with a faint vibration.

Hmm, that is not good. Is there any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

No

Thank you. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

But I never have frost in my freezer.

Your refrigerator has a problem with the sealed refrigeration system, likely a leak that has allowed the refrigerant to escape. This type of repair will require very specialized tools and training and is not one you will be able to complete. A repair of this type may be expected to cost about $400 + parts. It is very time consuming. To schedule repair from an Authorized Servicer, you can call 1-***-***-****. Total cost may be near $7-800, just so you can make an informed decision. Life expectancy is about 9 years, so at 7 years old now, it may come down to replacing vs repairing it.

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

What should the compressor feel like?

It should be warm and vibrating when it is running, but if it is running with no cooling, there is a problem in the sealed system.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Ok. Thank you.

You are very welcome, thank you! I apologize for not providing you with the 5 star service you deserve.