Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 20 yrs. experience with 25,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My Samsung French door Fridge RFG298AARS/XAA's freezer temp

My Samsung French door Fridge RFG298AARS/XAA's freezer temp display says it is -6 degrees, yet real temp, using a thermometer says it is 42 degrees. Ice in tray has melted, etc. A repair tech has told me the evaporator is leaking down and both it and the compressor will have to be replaced. To me, seems as if the temp sensor has gone bad. Upper fridge is getting warmer too.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Purchased in July of 2010. RFG298AARS/XAA
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

The setting is at -6 degrees most likely, pull the unit out so you can get behind it. Remove the back lower panel to access the compressor area and condenser fan. Check and see if the fan is running and also see if the compressor is vibrating or not, plus see if the compressor is hot ,cold or warm to the touch. please post back to me with what you have found. Also note anything you have changed out part wise or have done and not mentioned in your original post. I am helping other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok

Just get back to me when you check those things I listed thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Working on it...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Compressor is warm and vibrating snd fan is running. Have not changed parts etc.

OK the unit is likely running low on freon, check and make sure the condenser is clean. If it is then remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the evaporator coil. If only part of it is frosted and not the whole thing, the rest being bare aluminum then you have a freon leak. If that is the case the fix is too expensive for the unit and I would start looking for a new one. Note the refrigerator section often will maintain temps still because there is enough freon to get to 37 degreees, but not enough to get to 0 degrees. Check that out and see what you find and get back to me!

All I ask is...Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. Even though you paid the site they will not disburse any part of it to me until you supply a good rating. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Too much for an old guy to remove panel inside freezer compartment. Refridge part is holding around 42 degrees

Yes it is out of freon or the compressor is bad, this is a major issue and the repair will be about 700 dollars as you will need a company to do sealed system work. Sorry for the bad news.