Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We just hooked up our refrigerator freezer to a water line.

We just hooked up...

We just hooked up our refrigerator freezer to a water line. It seemed fine and then about 5 minutes later the ice bin started filling with water and pouring into the freezer and onto the floor. We don't have an owners manual because the refrigerator came with our house two years ago and we just had the water line installed.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

The model is A GE GSL25XGWC. It is a side by side with a dispenser on the freezer door. It seemed pretty new when we bought the house two years ago, but when I went on the GE website to look for the manual this model number was not listed.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I thought I'd try. But I'm not technical so if it is complicated I'll have to have a repairman come. I figured it had something to do with a setting, but I'm no expert.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Can't think of anything right now.

4/6/2018
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Does it continue to fill if you unplug the refrigerator or does it stop filling?

We cut off the water line, so I don't know.

If you turn it back on with the refrigerator unplugged, does it leak?

I'm hesitant to do that because I don't want to have to clean up all the water again.

Well, it will be important to know to tell you which part has failed.

You don't have to let it run long, just enough to see if it fills while unplugged.

I tried and water did pour out again.

Thank you. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The water valve has a solenoid that is stuck open. That is the only way water can run if the refrigerator is unplugged. The valve will need to be replaced. The video at the link below shows how it is replaced!

CLICK HERE

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thank you so much. I appreciate your help. I will give you a 5 star rating. Have a blessed evening.

You as well, thank you so much!