Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our Amana Refrigerator Model AFD02535FES is running

Customer Question
Our Amana Refrigerator Model...

Our Amana Refrigerator Model AFD02535FES is running constantly, and the fins at the back of the freezer compartment are frosted between the fins.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The Model is AFD02535 FES, Serial # 12116083NP, It is at least 10 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Only if there is a simple solution

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This happened several months ago when we left the door to the refrigerator open over night. I unplugged the refrigerator, defrosted the fins and it started working again

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
4/5/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

AFD02535FES is not a good model number , can you look at the number once more please?

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?

No I do not want to spend another $24 to talk to you. The model number that I got was on a plate inside the refrigerator. It is a two door on top refrigerator with a One drawer on the bottom for the freezer. I can look at the Amana whole motor booklet to see if I can get a different model number.

As stated in my first post ,If your referring to a phone call prompt or POP UPS ,I did NOT send that to you ,the website that WE are using does, NOT I!

yes look at the booklet and the unit once again because AFD02535FES is not an Amana Model number of any of their appliances .

I just got the same message at the bottom of where actually below your response with the amount of $24 if you want to call me. Can we just text?

Again I`m not sending those to you .

Ignore it !

it is going to take me about five minutes to go get that booklet and check again on the inside of the refrigerator

ok no problem

I am Also Assisting you along with other customers so there may be a delay in responses to do not panic just wait for my reply thank you.

The model number that I gave you was on A sticker inside the refrigerator yet also said Maytag on the sticker the outside of the refrigerator says Amana. The online booklet that I have says AFI2539ER

ok that is the correct number .

Give me a few minutes to pull up information on this model.

OK. Correction the model number has a M at the end. As ERM

Ok this unit has a automatic defrost system , that is not working .

The defrost system has three components to it .

Two in the freezer section behind the rear interior wall panel and the third is the main electronic control board.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

No I don’t have any tools like this it looks like I am going to need to get a service technician to come to my home . About how expensive is it to fix these components.

well it will depend upon which of the three are bad .

If you were to purchase the part yourself .

The control board is around $355.00

The defrost thermostat inside the freezer only comes with the freezer Evaporator fan assembly and that is $125.00

The defrost heater also inside the freezer is $56.00

Now when you call in a service company they are going to tack on more to the part price to cover and warranty on the part and then labor . so if say the control board is the issue you could be looking at over $500.00 in part and labor for just the control board to be replaced.

Ok Would you suggest we get a new refrigerator versus trying to fix it I know and no one would cost about $2000

well that would be up to you .

but if it did need the new control board that is still cheaper than a new unit .

And the unit is approx 10 years old , the newer one are more efficient ,

Always glad to assist you anytime.
Thank you in advance.
If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. You were very helpful

Anytime .

You should see a rating box ,just click on the rating box and it will open the rating window for you to than rate me .
Thank you in advance.