Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have purchased a Maytag Commercial Technology

Customer Question
I have purchased a...

I have purchased a Maytag Commercial Technology BravosXL"-MCT, Model MEDB835DW4 dryer from Lowe's. When first used it displayed "AF" and would run for about 15 minutes and then stop. I called Lowe's and they replaced it with a new one. The new one is still displaying "AF" but so far is running and heating. The vent both behind the dryer and on the outside of the house have been checked and are clear. I do not want to keep a dryer that seems like it has an issue. What do you recommend?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I just told you it is less than 30 days old and the model # is MEDB835DW4

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No - I no nothing about fixing dryers. I simply want to verify that "AF" means airflow and why you think it is displaying that since the vent behind the dryer is clear and also on the outside of the house.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well I hope you saw that this is the second dryer of this model that has been delivered by Lowe's - the first one displaying "AF" but quitting after 15 minutes. They replaced it with another new one and though it displays "AF" so far it is not quitting after 15 minutes.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/4/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Will you reply come here on this site or in my email box?

This is not a problem with the dryer, it's a problem with your venting. Run the dryer without the vent connected and you'll see it runs completely fine. Either way, your vent is either too long for the dryer to handle, or the vent is restricting the air flow. The dryer can only handle a 15 foot vent and every 90 degree turn counts as 5 feet. If you have a vent longer than that, you would need to add an in-line blower to make this dryer work. Now if the vent is shorter than that, either it's partially clogged through your house, or possibly the damper on the outside of your house need to be bent a bit so the flap can open further to allow more air flow out the vent. Either way, again this isn't a problem with this dryer itself, but you may need a different brand dryer that doesn't monitor the air flow as closely (like GE or Frigidaire) if your vent is too long and you don't want to use an in-line blower.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Do you have a model # and where I can purchase an in line blower?

You would need something like the one in the link below. It requires an electrical power hook up and should be placed half way down the vent pipe so it's not an easy install which is why it might be better to get a different kind of dryer, but that's up to you.

CLICK HERE for blower