Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Own 26 cubic ft. Whirlpool refrigerator. Time to change

Customer Question
Own 26 cubic ft...

Own 26 cubic ft. Whirlpool refrigerator. Time to change water filter. Cannot get old filter to come out. Sue

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Wrx988S18M0l Not sure of age. Maybe 3 years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Would like to. I have tried to replace filter as well as my husband. It won't release. Had no problems in past

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appliance
4/3/2018
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.
Please note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient.
Also the website will send you a phone call offer that is not from me!

this is a very common issue with Whirlpool units the O-ring seals dry out and stick to the filter housing .

Your model number is ***** WRX988SIBM01

Have you put a pair of pliers on it to try and turn it ?

No. Afraid of breaking it.

I can understand that ,but if it is stuck you will need to use a bit of force for it to turn counter clock wise and unlock .

I will go try the pliers. I am upstairs (computer on 2nd floor) and use stair lift to get up and down. I will be a few minutes.

no problem ! I`m here until 5 P.M. EST today

Could not do it. Am signing off. Thanks for help. Sue

ok Sue , best of luck to you , it sounds as if you will need a friend try to remove it or call in a service company to remove it for you .

Always glad to assist you anytime.

Thank you in advance.
If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.