Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My KitchenAid refrigerator the Lights on the digital panel…

Customer Question
My KitchenAid refrigerator the...

My KitchenAid refrigerator the Lights on the digital panel would go off & on. Eventually it quit cooling. What do we need to look at?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Bought it in 2010 model number is *****

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
4/3/2018
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your Kitchenaid refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

You have a board in the back called the HV board. This part will need to be replaced. It wears out and no longer sufficiently filters the power supply and caused the display to blink, sometimes creates a clicking sound, and sometimes causes the ice door to open and shut. It can also affect the refrigerator’s ability to dispense ice. It needs to be ordered by model and serial number. You can try to reset the issue by unplugging the refrigerator for 5 minutes but that rarely resets the issue. Otherwise, It is the board in the back to the left when facing the back. It is behind a metal cover and then behind a clear plastic cover. Please note that your Kitchenaid refrigerator is made by WHIRLPOOL. Here is a link to the part HERE. Please note that this board needs to be programmed after you install it. Instructions to do so are in the box. Here is a video that will get you to the board - the model of the refrigerator may be slightly different, but the method of getting to the board is the the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoLQdcFv1Y

- PLEASE use the stars at the top or bottom of your screen my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. So if you don't get an answer right away, don't worry, I log on daily to respond to questions. Thank you.