Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We just had a Frigidaire cooktop,model FFEC3605LB (36" black…

Customer Question
We just had a...

We just had a Frigidaire cooktop,model FFEC3605LB (36" black coil unit) installed ,and I do not believe the installer did a good job. The unit replaced a 30" GE unit so he had to cut a larger opening which was expected. When he left I found that the cooktop slid around in the hole (could move it forward, backward and left or right. The cooktop does does not lay flat on the formica countertop so I can see between the cooktop and the formica counter on the right front corner. The lack of securing on the right front allows me to lift the corner high enough to insert my entire finger. I feel all corners should lay flay and be secured so the cooktop does not slide or float. What say you?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Do not have the model number since it was discarded but it was the original for our home which is now about 27 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The work is already done and I have paid $135 for the job. He has $40 in his hands but when I explained the problem with the appliance dealer where we purchased the unit and who assigned the installer this pm, he said he was holding the other $95. When I told him that the right corner would not lay flat on the formica countertop he said something like "they do not make units as well as they used to but it will lay flat in a short time if you do nothing" I do not believe this to be true and the appliance dealer agrees with me. He is going to contact the installer return and to make the installation correctly . My question really is how secure and flush to the formica countertop should the countertop stove be, ie. no sliding, floating and flush for the entire perimiter. What say you?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think not. I just want to know what to expect in a "correct installation". This guy is fighting back saying he did right and I want it corrected the first time he comes back. I think (do not know) is that he bent or broke the retainers that secure the unit and he may have to replace them.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So first, the person did not install the cooktop properly if it moves around. There are brackets that go under the cooktop that should screw in and clamp down to hold the cooktop to the bottom of the countertop. One other thing that some installers will do is put a bead of silicone under the outer lip of the cooktop. That will hold it in place as well as prevent crumbs and spills from getting below the cooktop. You would need to slide a razor underneath all the way around to cut the silicone if you ever needed to remove the cooktop for service.

All that said, if the cooktop doesn't sit flush, it's because your countertops are warped typically. I'm not sure how big of a gap you have, but if you bolt down the cooktop it can force the box to warp to fit the counter and that's not a problem since you don't have a glass top. That being said, you will have to use the installation clamps in order to hold the cooktop down and get it flush with the countertop.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.